We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private English speaking guides?

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Private English speaking guides?

We'll be arriving in Lorient via cruise ship, in early October, and we are interested in booking a private guide/driver to show us Lorient, Pont Aven and Quimper. I have had a heck of a hard time finding such a guide. They must exist, non?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Merci. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
Pont-Aven
Pont-Aven
Finistere, France
Quimper
Quimper
Finistere, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private English speaking guides?

Have you looked at or inquired through the official Lorient Tourist Office?

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private English speaking guides?

Yes I have. This forum is my last resort. I've spent quite a bit of time searching online.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private English speaking guides?

The area attracts a lot of independent travellers with their own transport, and I wouldn't have thought this was a commonly requested service. (Not like docking near Rome/Venice for example.) What about asking your cruise company - it might be a service they have sourced before?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private English speaking guides?

You're exactly right, MisInformed, that's what I am finding... lots of do-it-yourself information. I'm pretty sure the cruise company would tell me to take one of their highly priced tours. I can just hear them say "We've done it for you". I don't want to be on a busload of 50+ people, but I may have to concede.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private English speaking guides?

From the Lorient Tourism Website: lorient-tourisme.fr/votre-sejour/groupes.cfm

Scroll down and email Sylvie.

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,016 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private English speaking guides?

i googled "private guide Lorient" and came up with....

aparistravel.com/cruise-ship-excursions/183-…

bestprivatetours.com/brittany-private-tours_…

http://www.frenchadventures.com/brittany.html

You say you have contacted the Lorient Tourist office, but just in case, here is their contact page on their website...

www.lorient-tourisme.fr/contactez-nous.cfm

It might be worth going onto TA's sister site "CruiseCritic" and see if previous visitors to the Port managed to find anything/one, eg

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
California
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private English speaking guides?

If you find some tour info will you please share? We are going on Marina in Sept 2014 and will be in Lorient on Sept 5th. I have tried some of contacts in this forum. Waiting for reply. Thanks a lot. Pat

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private English speaking guides?

Winniecody,

I corresponded with Best Private Tours about touring the area, but decided not to book for several reasons, the first being that they do not refund deposits if for any reason the ship is unable to dock in port. I felt that that was too risky, as other tour companies have better policies. So we decided to join a group that had formed on CruiseCritic. Turned out the tour was with Best Private Tours!

The charming driver/guide they sent was not completely fluent in English. She was more a driver, and less a guide. She drove us to Pont Aven, dropped us off and said she'd meet us at that location in an hour and a half. No info about what to look for or what there was to see, or sites we could visit. It was the same way in Concarnneau. She had to use her cell phone to google a restaurant recommendation. I do want to say that she tried very hard to please a group with different interests, on an already difficult rainy day.

Best Private Tours is not a local company, they are located in Spain! They do hire local driver/guides, and again I use the word "guide" loosely. I do feel fortunate that we got to tour that day because another CruiseCritic group, who had booked with a private guide, had their tour canceled (due to an emergency) the morning the ship docked in Lorient!

If you have never been on Oceania's Marina you will love it. Beautiful ship! Have the sea bass at Red Ginger. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Pont-Aven
Pont-Aven
Finistere, France
Spain
Spain
Europe
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
Lorient, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private English speaking guides?

Hello,

You may contact The City of Lorient Cultural Department at this email address for information regarding guided tours in Lorient (or Port-Louis Museum) with an English speaking guide : patrimoine@mairie-lorient.fr

More information here : lorient.fr/services/…

I wish you a great trip.

Regards,

Gwen

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
Port-Louis
Port-Louis
Morbihan, France
Lorient, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private English speaking guides?

Hello,

You may contact The City of Lorient Cultural Department at this email address for information regarding guided tours in Lorient (or Port-Louis Museum) with an English speaking guide : patrimoine@mairie-lorient.fr

More information here : lorient.fr/services/…

I wish you a great trip.

Regards,

Gwen

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
Port-Louis
Port-Louis
Morbihan, France