We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Malo Ferry to Train Station

Ottawa
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
St Malo Ferry to Train Station

Is one hour enough time to get from Ferry Service to Train Station to go to Paris, we do not have a car, wonder about arrival in France is it quick? Can the train station be reached by walk or taxi. Traveling end of September. thank you

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
1. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 14:08
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

It is about 2-3 kms or slightly over from the ferry terminal to the Gare de St-Malo, taking about 20 minutes to walk:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Saint-Malo,+France+(Weymouth-St+Malo+ferry+terminal)&daddr=France+(Gare+de+Saint-Malo)&geocode=FZM55gId5xfh_yFhQUCfOeGHEg%3BFQtK5gIdT2zh_yE2J16WjLMIbw&hl=en&mra=pd&sll=48.624513,-1.934967&sspn=0.087369,0.222988&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Arrival depends on the ferry company (due to the size of the ferry). As a foot passenger you will get off the boat much quicker than car drivers, but may then have to queue for some time to have your passport checked...

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
France
France
Europe
Essex
Level Contributor
30,440 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

Sorry seniorOttawa, have re-read my post #1 which I wrote rather late last night when tired and clearly a bit grumpy!! It looks rather 'snippy' in the new light of day, so I have requested it be removed.

I will 'do' the same information, but hopefully in a more helpful way!!

If your start-point for travel from the UK in fact is London, you may find that considering your 'final destination' on this journey leg is Paris, that taking the Eurostar direct from London to Paris will be a much easier option, and save you a load of 'faff'. It is also more likely to save you some precious travelling time.

IF indeed you will be in Portsmouth, and setting off by ferry from there to St Malo, see if you can take an overnight ferry, OR a 'fast' ferry, might save you a bit on the time factor, too!!

I'd still consider poss even taking the train back to London, so that you can then take Eurostar direct to Paris - but you will have to do the 'math' here on journey time, to see if it saves you anything much.

If you do go to St Malo though, are worried about 'making it' to a specific train time once you are off the ferry, have you considered having an 'overnighter' in St Malo itself? It really is an interesting place that will give you quite a contrast to Paris. Here's a thread with a very recent trip report - perhaps it will whet your appetite!!:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187104-i1485-k4…

There, that's better, hope this helps, and enjoy your travels

EW

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

It is a bit of a trek from the ferry terminal to the station, and quite boring for about half the way. There is also a potential danger of the bridge over the entrance to the dock being closed, to allow boats out. However I think that there are usually taxis at the terminal so it could be a good idea to be prepared to take one.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

thank you everyone - We have found a train that leaves later in the day, so if there is any delay, it should not be a problem. We would love to spend more time in the area, however we only have so many days of holidays so we have to make hard decisions.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

i am wondering on how did u get to train station since I am thinking of going there too...

Ottawa
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

Have not done the trip yet, not until October, so still not sure, depends on what train we take from St. Malo, after we arrive on the ferry, if not much time, probably will take a taxi.

So, if you are going shortly, can you please let me know how the transfer goes and timeframe.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

If walking to the station from St Malo ferry terminal, head for the Cite walls but dont go insidfe them, continue along the side of tyhe harbour aas far as the ouriost Information Office/bus terminal. There take the main road to the right (it is this later part that can be a drag). It is a few years since I made the connection but there is normally plenty of time between the ferry getting in and the departure of aq mid-morning train.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
london
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

Anyone choosing to walk, you can avoid the problem with the bridge being closed (i.e. lock gates open to boats, closed to traffic and pedestrians). Turn right as you exit the ferry terminal car park, onto Quai de Trichet, and follow this round the edge of the harbour (I think it changes it's name to Quai du Val at a mini roundabout part way). At the hospital, turn left onto Blvd. des Talards, and you'll see the station on your right (set back from this main street) after about a half mile.

This is a MUCH less scenic walk than the alternative, as you don't get close to the citadelle, but if you are pushed for time and the lock gates are open, it's the way to do it. It's about the same distance.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Malo Ferry to Train Station

Give yourself a good amount of time, even with a taxi. I had a slim 45min conection time. Unfortunately the ferry was late (quite common according to crew and other passengers), there is a long wait to disembark (because a number of cars must exit first) and the taxi rank was empty. I finally got off the ferry at 12:02 and made my 12:12 train to Paris with only seconds to spare thanks to staff letting the ferry-to-terminal bus go with only me and another on it, lots of running through passport control etc and the 'another' being a kindly man who gave me a lift in his car. I would aim for 2hrs in future.

Edited: 28 July 2011, 15:31
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France