We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel London to St Malo

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Travel London to St Malo

My sister is spending five days in St Malo in August and will be travelling from London, however, I'm unsure what travel option is best (I'm booking as she's based in NZ). On the way back to London from St Malo she'll spend a few days in Paris. I was thinking of booking a return Eurostar London/Paris then a return internal train Paris/St Malo, is this a good idea? Any thoughts and suggestions most welcome. Thanks in advance :)

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel London to St Malo

You could go that way or take a National Express coach or train from London to Portsmouth then take a Brittany Ferries ferry to St Malo, they go out overnight so I'd advise taking a cabin and getting a nights sleep, so would in effect not lose a whole day travelling. The Coach option goes straight the the ferry terminal from Victoria coach station. St Malo is a lovely place.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel London to St Malo

tripadvisor.co.uk/…38073359

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel London to St Malo

Wow, thanks so much for your prompt responses! I'm going to look further into the eurostar/train option and may come back with further queries, thanks again

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel London to St Malo

The link to your post was really useful, thanks! I have a question about getting from Gare du Nord to Gare St Lazare...how much time would you advise to leave between the two train bookings to safely make it to the station on time?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,070 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel London to St Malo

Trains to St Malo leave from Paris Gare Montparnasse, not Gare St Lazare.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel London to St Malo

Oh ok, thanks for that! It looks like you can take the metro line M4 to Montparnasse? How much time would you advise to leave between arriving at Gare du Nord and getting on a train from Montparnasse to St Malo?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel London to St Malo

When I worked in the business, we always advised people to allow an hour to change between Paris terminals (except between Nord and Est which are close to each other) - and coming back to catch a Eurostar you would have to add check-in time to this.

Given a fair wind, and knowing your way and the language, you can get between any of them in half-an-hour, but an hour gives some leeway for delays, queues and unfamiliarity.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel London to St Malo

That's really helpful, thank you. My sister is a savvy traveller but hasn't been to Paris before and doesn't know the language so an hour sounds like a good option for her.

9. Re: Travel London to St Malo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Malo