We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Nice to Avignon

Upstate NY
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Nice to Avignon

How long would it take driving from Nice to Avignon early one day in October? What should we see along the way? We were considering taking the train, but will be renting a car for a week instead. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Nice to Avignon

This question is best answered by your consulting either of the following:

www.mappy.com

www.viamichelin.com

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Nice to Avignon

It takes 3 hours via autoroute, assuming normal traffic flow.

Blackburn England
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Nice to Avignon

From Avignon to Nice you can do a brilliant winery with extra interest if you head via Pertuis for:

Chateau Val Joanis

http://www.val-joanis.com/

Excellent garden visit and other local produce

Neal

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Nice to Avignon

We were staying in Vence ( just behind Nice) in June and drove to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (about twenty minutes from Avignon). It was the most spectacular drive of our trip. It is a long day trip (about eight hours with stops) and through the Gorge du Verdon the road is narrow and windy, but absolutely worth it. We managed it the day after we picked up the car, despite the fact that we were driving on the 'wrong' side of the road...

From Vence, head up into the hills heading for Coursegoules. Pick up the brioche specialty of Vence (whose name escapes me, but starts with 'Venc..' and is topped with almonds and icing sugar).Heading up from Vence, the views back over the Cote d"Azur are fantastic. This is a quiet minor road (I think the D2). Take the signs to Castellane (you don't actually go through Coursegoules). Castellane is a beautiful small town with a church perched way up on a solitary rock. The Verdon river rushes through the town and there is a lovely central plaza with lots of restaurants. From here follow the signs to the Gorge du Verdon. The road on the southern side of the canyon has the best views heading west towards Avignon (I think it's the D71). Towards the end of the drive there is a superb vista over the aqua blue river way, way below in the canyon, with the flat plains beyond. There is a lovely town (I don't have my map with me sorry, but I think it's called Aiguilles,or similar) which is the first town you come to at the end of the canyon. It has a beautiful (privately owned)chateau overlooking Lac de Ste Croix. You can sit in the park attached to the chateau and have your picnic.

From here to Moustiers Ste Marie, designated one of the most beautiful villages in France. It's built into the side of cliffs (a bit like Coursegoules).

You can then head to Pertuis (see previous poster) and on to Avignon.

Have a wonderful time.

5. Re: Driving from Nice to Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 06:33