We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

burgundy route

australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
burgundy route

Hi

We have 9 days to go thru Burgundy from Dijon to Provence.Any ideas on a good base in the north and the south. WE love the old villages but want to be able to walk to cafes etc for meals. I have found so many nice places it is hard to decide. I think we will probably choose to stay 3 nights in 3 different places.

Love the look of Chalon sur Saone, Cluny, Macon, Chagny ,Dijon, Beune !!!! Help

London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: burgundy route

It's true that the smaller villages don't usually have a choice of cafés/restaurants so can be limiting if you don't want to drive anywhere in the evening.

Certainly Beaune will fit your requirements for the first or second three days - even if you get a hotel near the ring road, it's easy to walk in to town for the evening as it's quite a small town with plenty of choices for places to eat and drink. It's a really lovely place to be and a convenient base from which to explore the region during the daytimes.

If you enjoy wine, then maybe a stay in Chablis would suit at the start of your trip.

Further south, Mâcon could be worth getting to know and is a good base for exploring both the Mâconnais and the Beaujolais area, or you could stay right in the Beaujolais area in the old town of Belleville or the larger, more commercial Villefranche.

I hope others will weigh in with other non-vinous comments especially about Cluny that I don't know.

2. Re: burgundy route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 December 2015, 22:48
3. Re: burgundy route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 11:17