We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Village / Small Town for Base

Ireland
Level Contributor
169 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Village / Small Town for Base

Hi there,

We would like to visit the Burgundy area and would like to base ourselves in a small town / village with a good selection of restaurants within walking distance for the evenings. We do intend to hire a car. We are considering going in July for a week and staying in a B&B. I don't know a whole lot about the area so any help would be appreciated. We would be flying into Lyon.

Thanks.

Selbeep.

San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Village / Small Town for Base

Well I'm going in June and picked Semur en Auxois as a base. Its pretty small but there are over a dozen places to eat.

Burgundy is a bit to big to base in one area and be able to see everything. In my case I'm not interested in the wine regions in the south so basing further North works and puts most of the historic sights within easy day trip range.

I believe many folks stay in Beaune for good access to the vineyards - Beaune also has their baroque music festival every weekend throughout July.

www.burgundytoday.com is an excellent resource and has highlights of the cities/town in Burgundy.

Beaune
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Village / Small Town for Base

Meursault, Beaune, Savigny les Beaune, Chagny

Centrally located for day trips

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
547 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Village / Small Town for Base

We stayed in Semur a few years ago. Beautiful walled town with many restaurants and bars. We loved walking the streets and exploring the shops. The initial view as you approach the town is spectacular. Much of the old town walls are still intact. It's also a great location to explore the area from. Driving the area was pretty easy too. You'll love it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Village / Small Town for Base

Semur is indeed a pretty town, we stayed in 2004 and enjoyed it greatly. It is what we call a "real" town because it is there for the residents, not just for the tourists. In 2008 we stayed in nearby Vezelay which was lovely. A pilgrim town with a beautiful church and one main street leading uphill to it.

Staying for a week I would probably choose Semur as there is enough to keep you interested in the town itself in the evenings. If so. make sure you visit Vezelay.

Some photos, including one of Semur from the next ridge.

www.nickbooth.id.au/France08/Vezelay.html

lyon
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Village / Small Town for Base

www,burgundytoday.com is a commercial web site

not very independant

i would use the village of MEURSAULT,south of beaune

it has plenty of hotels and restaurants

rent a bike and ride the nearby wine routes

6. Re: Village / Small Town for Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 05:18