We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

Aaagh, just when you think you're getting there, you receive an email changing your flight!

My husband and I, and 3 kids were meant to leave Venice at 3.40pm and now changed to 8am. Not only does this wipe out at least a good morning sightseeing in Venice, it also means our car hire arrangements in France are thrown out.

We were to land in Lyon late afternoon, drive to accomm at Noizeret/Couch, spend 3 days and end in Dijon where we return the car and catch a train to Paris.

I don't really want to pay an extra day car hire, so are we better to try and stow our luggage (somewhere) and have a day in Lyon without a car until that afternoon? Or pick up the car earlier, meander to Noizeret, and then on the last day, return it earlier, therefore having a day in Dijon without a car?

Which is the best way to go? Pls let me know as I may need to contact the car rental company. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
1. Re: Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 19:50
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

Both are wonderful cities to wander around in; don't see how you could make a wrong decision.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

You've lost time in Venice.....but gained the equivalent time in france.

The decision is what to do with this bonus time in France. Do you park your luggage and wait for a shuttle (cost of 2 adults + 3kids) to Lyon, major city with lots to see, then wait for shuttle (cost of 2 adults + 3kids) to retrace your stepsl back to the airport to retrieve luggage and find car hire location. All this with 3 kids in tow.

The alternative is to research the area between the airport and your accommodation to find a place (or places) you want to visit and break the journey. You may pay for about 8hrs car hire (many charge by the day, so depends on your drop off time) but this eliminates a lot of hassle, and no shuttle costs.

I've had a similar experience and chose the wromg option, killing time is not good even in an interesting city ... I'd go for the earlier car hire and choose a destination(s), or probably turn off the autoroute and see some of the real France, there are many little gems waiting to be found, the brown tourist signs are a good indication..

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

Thank you all for your input. You're right - either way it will be good ...toss a coin? Maybe pick up early, lunch and sightseeing Lyon, mosey towards our accomm thru the countryside and arrive evening.

That means an earlier start on the last day to get the car back to Dijon by 9.30 am. Maybe we could book our luggage onto the train early (TGV)?

Leaving us free to explore Dijon (must find out what the owl search is)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Dijon, France
Level Contributor
801 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

The Owl trail is a self guided tour that takes in most of the tourist sites in Dijon. The route is marked on the footpath (sidewalk) by brass triangular tiles. When you come to a point of interest there is a number marked on the ground and then you look up the number in a little brochure that you need to buy from the tourist information office (2.5€).

Between the left luggage office at the train station and the Quick restaurant, the brand new TO opened a few weeks ago and with its green front, you can't miss it. Welcome to Dijon :-)

dijon-tourism.com/uk/dijon_parcours_chouette…

6. Re: Thaychanged my flight! Lyon without car? Or Dijon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Burgundy
Recent Conversations