We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

We are doing a 7 day canal trip mid June. Starting in tannay and finishing in mignennes. We start and finish boat trip on a Sunday. My questions are :

what is best way to get to tannay from Paris (we have actually booked accommodation at dornacy for the Saturday night before the trip as could not find any rooms available in tannay. Are there any trains from Paris to dornacy or are we best to look at hiring a car.

Is there a supermarket or somewhere we can buy provisions on a Sunday in either dornacy or tannay.

Any suggestions of how to get from dornacy to tannay on the Sunday morning.

At end of trip on a Sunday would there be a car rental place open in mignennes? If not any trains that leave there to somewhere like auxerre or further like Dijon?

Would be grateful for any suggestions, thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

Have you looked back at some earlier posts on the Tannay or Mignennes forum? I seem to recollect this question popping up before.

You could try looking at www.voyages-sncf.com for train timetables.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

First the easy bit, at the end of the trip Minennes has a fairly substantial station at the junction of the lines to Dijon and Auxerre. So even on a Sunday there will be a reasonable service to trains to Paris Bercy. As to the first Sunday, you will almost certainly have to book a taxi to get you to the embarkation point and the chances of finding an open supermarket would be very slim indeed.

Beaune, France
Level Contributor
430 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

Generally in France very little is open on Sundays (or Mondays). Most people work on a 35 hour week and it is extremely expensive to employ people in France so they get round this by restricting opening hours. Sunday is still seen very much as a family day and most French people have big Sunday lunches, lasting from 1130 to 1800 with several generations of the family present.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
50 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

Hi,

I've cruised the Nivernais on 4 occasions (disclosure - I wrote "A Practical Guide for European Canal Boat Charters"),and I'm happy to address some of your questions.

First, the Nivernais is *rural*. As BurgundyGuide mentioned, very little will be open on Sunday. There is a Super U in Tannay, and it is open on Sunday mornings until 12:30pm. I've actually been there on a Sunday - a memorable experience in rural France! It's at the top of a large hill and a bit of a bike from the port (and the rental base), but fortunately there is a separate bike lane for most of the ride.

You can take a train from Paris Bercy to Tannay. The stop is called Flez Cuzy Tannay. If you travel this route, you will purchase a railway ticket. However, the last leg of your travel *may* be via bus. I've seen both a small train or a bus pull into the station at Flez Cuzy Tannay, which is about 200 yards from the port on the canal.

The trip from Migennes back to Paris will be fairly easy. It's a pretty short walk (less than a quarter mile) from the boat base to the Migennes train station. There are lots of trains going from Migennes to Paris Bercy, so just check http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ (the French Railways) for tickets.

I'm surprised that you couldn't find a hotel in or around Tannay. The Hôtel Le Morvan (http://www.hotel-du-morvan.com/) is a couple of hundred feet from both the railway station and the marina. They are pretty small, so they may not show up on the larger booking engines. Incidentally, they serve great local fare.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Heather

FrenchPressUSA.com

PS For photos and stories from this route, check out my blog at www.UnexcusedAbsences.com.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

We leave for France next month. Visiting Paris first, then Burgundy and then a week in the South of France.

I must say this part of the trip has been the most difficult to organise. Usually the Canal trip we are doing starts and ends on a Saturday and runs from Migennes to Tannay but for some reason we are doing it back to front. Would have been so much easier starting on a saturday! However now is all organised. Renting a car from Paris to Auxerre (visiting Fontainebleau on the way). We will then do a food shop at a supermarket before handing in our rental car at 5pm. Then the boat company has helped us organise a taxi van for the 6 in our group to take us to our accommodation in Dornecy. We did find a train that could have got us to Clamecy if the taxi idea did not work out. Then Sunday morning we have another taxi booked to get us to Tannay. At the other end of the trip we have booked a train from Migennes to Avignon via Dijon.

Hopefully this will all work, I will post comments of trip (hopefully glowing) on our return.

Hope your book is selling well Heather. I will check it out on Amazon.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
50 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

I'm glad you've gotten all your logistics solved. The E. Leclerc supermarket in Auxerre (close to the train station) is really nice. They have a whole aisle dedicated to cheese! It's a great place to stock up on groceries for the first part of your journey, if you can have access to a fridge at your hotel to keep things cool before boarding your boat.

Just a head's up about the rental car returns in Auxerre. Some of the companies are right by the train station, and others are quite a bit away from the center of town. Make sure your taxi picks you up in the correct section of town. I found this out the hard way ...

Please post comments and observations from your trip!

Bon Voyage.

7. Re: Getting to and from canal trip canal du nivernais?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17