We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for winery visits

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for winery visits

I'd love some recommendations for winery visits in Burgundy, focusing on high-quality wines. We are not looking for "introduction to wine" places, but rather places with very good wines (and preferably interesting facilities or atmosphere) that take visitors by appointment. (For example, when we visited Bordeaux, Lynch-Bages and Pontet-Canet were our favorite visits.) We will have five nights in Beaune in June, with a car. We'd prefer vintners whose wines are available in the U.S., since buying there and taking them home is not really practical for us. However, we would also like to visit one or two smaller wineries, and could buy a bottle to enjoy with a picnic lunch or afternoon cheese break in our hotel's gardens. (We are staying at Les Jardins de Lois, which is equipped for that ).

My husband is knowledgable about French wines and is fluent in French, but I'm the trip planner, and am trying to work out an itinerary and make some appointments.

I've looked at prior posts, and know the typical warnings about tasting and driving, but we're careful and experienced at doing this on our own both in France and Napa/Sonoma, and do not drink enough when tasting to have those problems.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 17:25
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

www.burgundyeye.com

www.macon-tourism.com

But be careful: Macon wines tend to be high percentage alcohol!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

Thanks for the links. I had been trying to find places to visit from the Michelin Guide and wine reviews in Wine Spectator, but having trouble finding websites and/or visit information for those wineries. These links to places open for visits will let me do the reverse - find places that are open to visitors and then look up information about their wines, which should be more productive.

If anyone has recommendations for specific estates or wineries to visit, I would love to hear them.

Beaune, France
Level Contributor
434 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

Hi Dolphin Fan,

Would this website be of help to you?

bourgogne-wines.com/our-winegrowers-our-expe…

You can search by export markets and the szie of the Domaine as well as the usual name ofproducer and tyrp of wine produced. There is some interesting information on visiting Burgundy on the forum on www.wineberserkers.com

Thanks for the mention on finding a wine guide :-)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
135 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

I agree I like personal experience suggestions. Which winery did not visit that was fun, or personal, or informative, or had great selections!

I am also planning a trip to this area and would like the above information.

Wine Spectator Magazine has a great article on vineyards to visit in this area. Enjoy

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

We have just returned from a short break to Burgundy during which our French friends took us to a small, intimate vineyard in the village of Clesse, not far from their home in Macon.

Jean-Pierre labels his bottles "M" the first letter of his surname (Michel).

On this occasion, we were looking specifically for whites and sampled bottles that ranged in price from 9euros upwards.

Jean-Pierre is enthusiastic about his vines and will happily show you around. On the occasion when we visited, he actually came in from the fields to open up, even though our friend had telephoned in advance to say we only wanted to buy a few bottles.

If you want a more intimate wine tasting experience, try "M".

www.vinsmichel-jeanpierre-clesse71.fr/

On previous visits to the area, we were also shown around the caves of Lugny and Vire.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 01:43
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

In addition to my post above (No.5), I should mention that Jean-Pierre does not produce enough wine for export.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

We have visited several independent vignerons in Burgundy for free tasting however we have always bought afterwards.

We find this a very enjoyable experience and feel we have purchased quality wines at well below retail prices. However you have to be prepared to buy ( although there is no pressure rather its courtesy when they have taken time to allow you to taste a range of their wines foc.)

There are 3 vignerons all small independent vignerons which we can recommend, we have been to all 3 several times and bought some excellent quality wines.

MSr Breliere in Rully

Mireille and Pascal Renaud in Fuisse or Pouilly ( near Macon & solutre )

Msr Bonhomme in vire (not Andrew bonhomme he is a relative but not connected)

The first speaks English well but the Renuads and Bonhomme speak v little English.

Hope this is helpful.

8. Re: Recommendations for winery visits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16