We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaune - Jura

NYC
2 posts
Save Topic
Beaune - Jura

I will be taking a couple of days to drive from Beaune through the Jura and into Switzerland. Does anyone have suggestions on what route I should take and for stops along the way?? I'm interested in taking it easy, enjoying local culture, scenery and gastromomic treats...

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaune - Jura

Historic town famous for its wine

www.arbois.com/page-ang/accueil_ang.html

Worth it for the wine cave near the centre. Main junction - walk downhill - take right fork of 2 roads - 50 to 100 metres on the right, up a side street, is a church. No it's not, its a wine cave. Atmospheric, dimly lit, with music of chanting monks, and good wine at good prices.

www.tourisme.fr/tourist-office/poligny.htm

Spa town, didn't see a lot as it was an extremely heavy rain storm.

www.salins-les-bains.com/version-anglaise.htm

Site in french, but the pictures will beckon you in

http://www.haut-jura.fr/

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaune - Jura

If you drive from beaune to Jura, you should go to "Chateau-Chalon", a very nice village (near lons-Le-Saunier), where is made a very particular french wine, called "vin jaune" = "Yellow wine".

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaune - Jura

For tasting good Burgundy spécialities, you should go to a nice restaurant, in the village of Volnay (very close to Beaune). The restaurant is called "cellier volnaisien". They make a cook with red-wine sauce. Taste "oeufs en meurettes" : boiled eggs in a red wine sauce : it's simply great.

This restaurant belongs to a man who makes wine.

London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaune - Jura

I suggest you drive directly from Beaune to Arbois (takes about an hour or a little more) and spend one night there. Arbois is the heart of the Jura wine region and where Pasteur spent much of his life - there are several very good restaurants - Jean-Paul Jeunet (excellent 2 Michelin stars - www.jeanpauljeunet.com) is also a 3-star hotel; or less expensive is La Balance (and there's a few simpler hotels around). The little town is idyllic with a superb chocolate shop (Hirsinger), cheese shops and several places to try the wines in the centre of the town (I recommend the André et Mireille Tissot shop in particular). It's small enough to wander around the whole town on foot.

I would then drive down to Château-Chalon (about 30 minutes' drive unless you take an ultra-scenic route) which is definitely worth visiting for a few hours and then head towards the Jura mountains and spend a night up there before dropping down the other side into Switzerland - depends exactly where you are aiming at as to which route you should choose; be prepared for lots of bendy roads and take your time to stop safely at the fabulous viewpoints.

london
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaune - Jura

do not leave the beaune area without a tasting lunch at www.maison-olivierleflaive.com 15 mns south of beaune in puligny montrachet

NYC
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaune - Jura

Thanks so much for the recommendations - will research more the places you mentioned - I can't wait!

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaune - Jura

A great great great restaurant just near Beaune (5 or 6 km) :

http://www.lecharlemagne.fr/

It's in the little village of Pernand-Vergelesses.

It's a gastronomic one. Mix of japanese and french. The cooker is french, and his second is japanese. A bit expensive, but great to value.

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaune - Jura

Not far from Chateau-Chalon and if you have the time, you may go to "Baume-Les-Messieurs". A wonderful village with one or two restaurants, where you can eat specialyties made with morels : delicious.And drink a glass of Jura Wine.(white or yellow).

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaune - Jura

15 or 20 km in the south of Beaune, you can see the cliffs and the wineyard of Saint-Romain.There, you will have a great landscape.The cliffs are a little bit difficult to find, but there are indications on the road.

10. Re: Beaune - Jura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 17:19