We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Beaune for the first time

hong kong
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Beaune for the first time

Our daughter is in Paris this semester and we plan to spend Spring break with her. I have business to attend to in the middle of the week but the weekends are free. Seems that Beaune is the right place to visit for a first-timer. Recommendations on where to stay and where to go are greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

Beaune is nice if you like wine. I recommend bringing some packing material so that you can take a bunch of bottles back home with you in check-in luggage. Try to reserve a dejeuner degustation (lunch wine tasting) like at Olivier LeFlaive. It's a very nice way to try and to compare many different things.

Check hotel reviews to find a good hotel. The main part is tiny and compact. Spring time should work fine just about anywhere. If it gets hot though, note that not all hotels have air conditioning.

Mentioned in this post
Olivier Leflaive
Olivier Leflaive
183 Reviews
Puligny-Montrachet, France
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Beaune
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

Depends mainly on your budget. Beaune is about 2 hours by train (via Dijon). Contact me with more details about your trip and expectation.

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Lebanon,CT
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

Can you take liquids in your carry on?

We purchased a small bottle of honey in Italy and they took it away from us at security and threw it out.

I would verify with the airline before you leave that you can carry it on.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

You can put liquids in your check-in luggage but not your carry-on. That's why your bottle of honey was thrown out.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
110 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

Darth -- I just wanted to say thanks for your post re. Olivier LeFlaive. (I'm not the original poster, btw.) This looks fantastic & I'm booking us there right now. Do you have any other recommendations for destination wineries in Burgundy, Beaujolais or even (Alsace, although I know that's a separate forum?) I'm very excited about this discovery -- thanks very much again for sharing!

Mentioned in this post
Olivier Leflaive
Olivier Leflaive
183 Reviews
Puligny-Montrachet, France
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

You're welcome. We lucked out when we were there and tagged along with Pascal as he gave some Dutch journalists a walking tour of the vineyards. We needed that walk because we were in no shape to drive. We tasted fourteen+ wines over lunch and liked them too much to spit any out.

"Do you have any other recommendations for destination wineries in Burgundy, Beaujolais or even (Alsace, although I know that's a separate forum?)"

Sorry. I want to spend more time there myself.

There are some big cooperatives in town where you can try all sorts of things. There's also a number of Michelin rated restaurants and nice B&B's in the region. Chablis was the biggest surprise for us. Here in the US, Chablis means bad white wine. We loved the real mccoy.

In the Alsace, I'm a fan of Rieslings and Sylvaners (white, not too fruity). The train stations in Colmar, Mulhouse, Strasbourg, etc had no shortage of winery brochures. My impression was that the Alsace gets much more interesting with a rental car. There's so many tiny picturesque towns off the beaten path in there. German seems to be the second language out there. The choucroutes look delicious but the flammekueche are maybe healthier.

Mentioned in this post
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Mulhouse
Mulhouse
Haut-Rhin, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

I will be visiting Beaune (first time in France) May 4-6. I plan to take wine home to Maine with me.

you may be interested to know that American Airlines allows checked baggage of up to 50 lbs. www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do… I assume other airlines are similar.

That should handle a fair amount of wine. www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do…

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
France
France
Europe
essex
Level Contributor
165 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

Hi

We stayed in Beaune a couple of years back and loved our stay there.

We stayed in an Ibis hotel, this was a short walk from the town square.

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

Beaune has a wide range of options for accommodation.

High end - le Cep Hotel in the center of Beaune offers great service with stylish traditional decor.

www.hotel-cep-beaune.com

Mid range - Guest apartment in the center of Beaune, fully self contained with charm and character.

vacations-abroad.com/France/…default.aspx

Bed and Breakfast in a stylish burgundian house in the centre of Beaune.

www.chambredhoteabeaune.com

Budget trip - Hotel la Foch offers well priced rooms, just a few steps from the centre of Beaune.

http://www.hotelbeaune-lefoch.fr/

Enjoy your trip, Cristina

tasteburgundy.com

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
10. Re: Traveling to Beaune for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2009, 05:19