We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling through wine country

Which Beaune hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cycling through wine country

My husband and I are avid cyclists so will be renting bikes when we arrive in Beaune. I've read about the bike path that leads through the chateaux and vineyards and I'm wondering if I need to book tours/visits for these chateaux in advance.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cycling through wine country

I'm a Cat 2 cyclist and spent four years living outside of Beaune. Great riding. Some of my favorite in the world. As for chateaux, there really isn't much compared to say the Loire, but a couple are worth a peek. Just 30min by bike to the south is la Rochepot. Very cool. Of course you'll need to visit the Hotel Dieu in Beaune and a stop at the various sites in Dijon is a good idea. You'll want to ride the Route des Grand Crus which starts south of Dijon and extends through Vougeot, Gevrey-Chambertin and other notable vineyards before arriving in Beaune. I'm a huge fan of the rides towards Nolay, Couche and along the back roads towards Autun. Limitless ride routes. Don't even think about missing a visit to le Patriarche in Beaune. Massive wine tasting op. If top shelf dinners are your thing, go to Les Milesime (sp?) in Gevrey-Chambertin. Ask Didier the sommolier to give you a peek at their cave. Impressive.

Great area. Not at all known for chateaux. Well known for food, wine and humble hotels. More picnic spots in Burgundy than you could ever use in a lifetime.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cycling through wine country

By the way, as a former resident...I've not heard of a bike path or any chateaux in the area.

Ontario
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cycling through wine country

This is very helpful ... thank you!!

4. Re: cycling through wine country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2015, 22:33
florida & QC
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cycling through wine country

Quiton,

We spent 10 days in burgundy last Oct, it was not enough. After 2 nights in Beaune, then we got used to the easy drive, each day we drove a few hours and stayed at some nice B&B along the road, from Gevrey-Chambertin, Nuits-st-George, Savigny-les-beaune, Pommard, Meursault, Autun, up north to Chauteneuf-en-auxois. We found several well-kept secret places that we defintely love to return next time.

This year we are looking to spend 10 days in Alsace. My husband likes to go different places each year. After searching for accomodation in Alsace, I found that burgundy offers a lot for the money. Since you spent 4 yr in burgundy, what is your opinion about Alsace vs. Burgundy in terms of accomodation and sight-seeing? What are your favorite towns in Alsace? We prefer small towns. Example, in Beaune we stayed outside, about 15 min drive, but at night we drove to Beaune for dinner.

Merci

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cycling through wine country

There is one splendid Renaissance château a bit north, the Château de Tanlay. See it if you can.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cycling through wine country

Book28 -

Burgundy is unique in terms of inexpensive hotels - In my opinion anyway. A well known hotelier told me that in Burgundy it's all about the food and wine which is why many humble hotels feature exceptional restaurants on the first floor. So, on that score, it's a tough act to follow.

As for Alsace, I like that area, but I find myself more drawn to the east boarder of France further south along the Haute Savoie. If you seek quaint, small villages in ideal settings, I'm a very big fan of the areas around La Clusaz, St. Gervais, Chamonix, Flumet and so on. Time of year is critical. Too early in the spring and you get the mess of winter thaw. Too close to summer and the crowds spoil it. Winter is fun, but very crowded. Late May, early June is amazing. Some hotels will be closed or pretend to be closed but rates can be exceptionally low due to off season pricing.

But I digress - Alsace - If you go, you can't miss the big players like Strasbourg. The area between Obernai and Colmar makes up the heart of Alsace in my book. Pretty area. I'd still take the Haute Savoie in early June for me.

florida & QC
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cycling through wine country

Quiton,

Haute Savoie is one of my favorite areas. I love Annecy and Chamonix-Mont-Blanc. I spent 2 weeks in Provence, drove around mt. Ventoux, Dentelle, found a lovely hotel in Carpentras and used Carpentras as a base to Avignon, Arles.

I've been to Fr 11 times, my husband has just discovered France recently. I've seen most of France except Alsace. La Bourgogne is in the top of my list to return, next is Provence, then Loire valley. We go in late October yearly. This is the best time of the year for us to escape the hurricane and enjoy the cool weather. We love burgundy wines - that's the main reason we go to Fr.

Thanks for your opinion about Alsace. I think we are returning to burgundy again, then we might drive to colma-obernai for a short stay.

Question: my husband is not used to traffic around CDG or any big cities. Unfortunately I don't drive stick shift, we've been looking at taking an hour train from CDG to let say Fontainebleau and pick up the car from there. Do you have any tips? Personally I prefer to pick up the car directly from CDG, convenience. In the past, I'd never had any problem returning the car at 9am to catch 11am flight, overnight around Melun area There was a bit of traffic and little tricky getting out of CDG. My husband is a typical floridian driver, he hates the drive out of CDG I think traffic in CDG is not as bad as some big cities in the states.

There is a TGV direct from CDG - Lyon, but I would save that for Haute Savoie trip. To burgundy, need a transfer from CDG to Gare du Nord, I don't see it as time saving and convenience. Well, my husband would like to hear from your own experience - the best way to get to burgundy from CDG.

9. Re: cycling through wine country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2015, 22:34
uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cycling through wine country

Hi

We are going on cycle tour of Burgundy in July and really looking forward to it.

We did the Alsace 2 years ago and of the towns and villages we stayed in my favourite was Kientsheim.

Its not on the regular coach trips out of Colmar so thankfully not a mass of tourists which some of the other villages in the area are. Its a beautiful old place.

We stayed in a lovely hotel - cant remember its name but it is a converted abbey and beautiflly maintained. Village only has one restaurant but the food was delicous. Definately the most restul stop on our trip