We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnics and slowing down

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Picnics and slowing down

In an increasingly insane world, my wife are I are thinking of returning to France next spring (Mar-May sometime). We have our eye on Dijon or Beaune as a place to plant our feet for a week or so. We usually seek out humble accomodations (2 star), and the idea of hopping onto the number 44 Bus to travel around sounds like our kind of adventure. Our idea of a great meal starts at a Boulangerie, a stop for cheese, perhaps some pate or fruits and a bottle of wine, and then off we go looking for a peaceful place to enjoy our feast. I searched all of the Burgundy forums for advice on picnicing and found almost no hits. Have we chosen the right place for this kind of vacation? Aside from our love of France, my wife is Acadian and many of her ancestors are said to have come from Dijon and surrounding communities. We're just looking for a place to slow down and enjoy the culture of today while remembering where we all came from.

1. Re: Picnics and slowing down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 14:06
Dijon, France
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnics and slowing down

Since you wish to have a picnic in Dijon as well, I recommend going to the market (Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays)to buy everything you need and head to Darcy garden which is the nearest park. Some of my friends did it and they loved it, I had one too with my boys last summer.

Jardin des Ducs at the back of the ducal palace is even closer to the market.

Otherwise you'll find :

The botanical gardens, Dijon port, Kir lake, place Wilson, parc de la Colombière, les carrières Bacquin, le parc de la Toison d'Or, the big parc de la Combe à la serpent... There is also a small hidden garden on the corner of Rue Buffon and rue Legouz de Gerlan close to St Michel church.

More here dijon.fr/decouvrir/les-parcs-et-jardins.php and also check www.cotedor-tourisme.com

Welcome to la Cote d'Or!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnics and slowing down

Thanks. I'm also wondering if it is acceptable to discretely enjoy a glass or two of wine when picnicing in public areas? We wouldn't want to offend but do enjoy a glass of wine outdoors. Merci...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnics and slowing down

We've picnicked everywhere in France with no problems whatsoever. City parks, a grassy hill in the middle of nowhere -- the art of the pique-nique is at its finest in France.

Do be discreet with the wine if you are in a public park -- there are occasionally rules about public drinking, but a couple enjoying a picnic on a sunny day will most likely not encounter the same level of enforcement as a group of teens swilling cheap garbage on a Friday night. Keep in mind, too, that France has no sense of humor *at all* about driving under the influence. Have your glass of wine, but take care to not overindulge.

Take a big tablecloth with you -- use it as your picnic blanket. I also pack a cheap shower curtain -- it becomes a groundcloth if it has rained or there's been a heavy dew -- keeps you from having a wet seat, and can be chucked in the trash if it's dirty.

The only caveat is to not picnic on what is obvious private property -- and to take a look around before you unload everything -- if picnicking is prohibited, it will be posted as such.

5. Re: Picnics and slowing down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Dijon