We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Bourne...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

A little over a year ago my husband and I spent a week in Dijon. We rented a great little flat that had a well quipped kitchen. Our favorite thing to do was to shop on market days and bring back food and wine and cook up a feast. Dijon also offered great sight seeing right out our door. We spent a few days just walking all over and enjoying the sights. Also, there were many interesting places to visit just a short drive away.

We're looking for an area that offers a similar experience. Any suggestions?

I was hoping to post this in a general forum on France but don't see one.

Thanks!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Many years ago we rented a small apartment in Valence (Rhone Valley). I am not sure if this is the company we used - but check it out:

www.villeetvillage.com/…

Bourne...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Thank you. I'll take a look.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Sarlat le caneda in the Dordogne is a similar place. Wonderful markets, a great little medieval core to the town and lots to do nearby. An autumny sort of feel to the area.

We also loved staying right in Isle sur la Sorgue in Provence. There are some great markets, including antiques on Sunday, a town that is big enough to be interesting in its own right and the whole of Provence to explore as well. It has much more of a summer feel to it.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,227 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

As mentioned, Sarlat has a very nice feel to it, a good market, and lots of things to see and do in and around it.

Further south, Avignon or Nimes are lovely places to visit, again with similar attributes. Smaller, and a little jewel, is Uzes; it has a medieval centre, lots of character, a lovely square where the markets are held on Saturday (large) and Wednesday (small, local produce), and is a friendly litle place.

These are all best to visit before or after the main summer period, when the crowds and heat are at their worst. There is so much to explore, and if you are also into history you'll love them; plus there are so many interesting places nearby.

GG

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Agree also with Uzes. We stayed here and had a great time.

frenchconnections.co.uk/en/…3651

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Many of the places that have been suggested are very much smaller than Dijon, which may not quite fit your style if I am reading you right, so that is something to consider. A few other places that might fit:

Colmar is a lovely place and would give you all of the beautiful Alsace region and Germany's Black Forest on your doorstep. Strasbourg and the beautiful villages and scenery of the Vosges make this a wonderful area to explore. Wonderful wines as well...

Rouen is a city I find very attractive and is surrounded by all manner of interesting places in the Seine valley and on the nearby parts of the coast of Normandy.

St. Malo and Dinard across the estuary from each other are both fascinating towns on a lovely part of the Brittany coast. Brittany deserves to be better known. It is a beautiful region with a fascinating history. Le Mont St. Michel is an easy day trip from St. Malo.

And both Normandy and Brittany have great food...

Bourne...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Thank you so much. This is just what I was looking for. Getting some great ideas. We're thinking of going in September when our heat here in Florida is getting old. Hoping to stay at least three weeks. So we can easily break in up and stay in a couple of different areas. We did this in Ireland and it worked out great.

Some of your suggestions my husband has on his list. He mentioned Colmar just yesterday. We took a day trip there when we did a self guided B&B trip to Germany. We loved it.

Please include any self catering options that you have stayed in or know to be good.

In Dijon we rented from http://www.dijon-rentahome.com Beatrice was wonderful and when we return to Dijon someday we would certainly stay at one of her places.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Check Israel Forum about vrbo.com As they do Europe too, it is worth investigating it. My cousins spent 3 weeks in Israel through this company & liked it...

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe

Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Hello

We are two women travelling to Dijon in April and looking for self catering apartment for 5 nights in Dijon. Need either twin room or 2 bedrooms.Can I please have the name of the apartment you stayed in and the cost per night if you remember it.

It may be like many others and have a nightly limit of 7 nights so may not

suit us. Having a problem finding a self catering in the city for 5 nights.

Any information will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Ann from Australia

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loved Dijon and it's market, now where?

Toulouse would be worth considering. It is a similar size to Dijon, perhaps rather larger, with penty to see in the city itself and facinating places to visit in the surrounding area.

Get answers to your questions about Dijon