We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

york
3 posts
Save Topic
Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

Please can anyone help, i'm trying to book rail from paris airport to dijon but it seems practically impossible to get resonable times,originally i wanted to go to Beaune but that was even more confusing i'v seen advise on TGV TER but there does'nt seem to be trains running on the hour or even every 2 hours to give a better time window from my flight not only that but the prices that i've been hearing about on trip advisor seem like a dream compared to what i'm getting quoted,is there a different rail company i can use please don't say SNCF as that just brings me back to Rail Europe HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

I am doing the same thing in September. I found that the schedule from CDG to Dijon limited to one train, but if you choose a rail station outside of the the airport there are many more. Just means you need to get to a train station in a different part of the city. Use raileurope.ca and enter Paris, France to Dijon

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

It´s very difficult to answer train questions unless you supply all of the pertinent information, specifically when you are travelling (date and time) and what URL are you using that provides such information.

To reach Beaune from CDG there are a good number of trains, most of which connect through Lyon and take about 4 hours.

Alternatively you could take the AF Bus to Gare de Lyon and leave for Beaune from there where there are more options and quicker en route times.

Use one of the following websites:

www.voyages-sncf.com (in French only)

www.tgv-europe.com

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

I am doing the same thing in September. I found that the schedule from CDG to Dijon limited to one train, but if you choose a rail station outside of the the airport there are many more. Just means you need to get to a train station in a different part of the city. Use raileurope.ca and enter Paris, France to Dijon

Wellington, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

To go to Dijon from CDG the latest timetable I have expired July 2010 so check it out. This is a direct fast SNCF train in the morning and at night. Departs 11.21 and arrives 13.18 and at night 19.41 and arrives 21.39.There is a good 3 star pub right accross the road.

If you need other times, then you have to get from the CDG into Paris and either from the Gare De Nord or the Gare De Lyon you can catch a train to Dijon about every half hour but it is a nightmare at the Nord in particular, especially on busy days or if there has been any breakdown. I am not sure which station but I think you leave Paris for anywhere in France as well as Dijon from the Gare De Lyon, check that out.

My email is gazglor@me.com

Regards Gaz.

Regards Gaz.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

Do not use RailEurope.ca as it charges a substantial fee on top of the ticket costs. And if you use the SNCF site and set the language to English, you get transferred to RailEurope USA, which is just as bad.

To book in English at the proper price, use www.tgv-europe.com/en and set the "Ticket collection country" to any English-speaking country except the USA. All will then be well.

It is correct that there seems to be only one train a day from CDG to Dijon. However, there are frequent trains from Gare de Lyon in Paris.

Wellington, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

This may also help everyone with this dilemma, the main Paris railway to anywhere in France is the Gare De Lyon, and from there you can get to Beaune about every half hour.

The other railway station in Paris is the Gare De Nord and that includes a Metro for all of Paris but is a he'll of a place which you don't want to be anywhere near at close of work on Fridays particularly if there is a breakdown.

Regards Gaz.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

My goodness, what has happened to Montparnasse, Bercy, St Lazare, Austerlitz, and Gare de l´Est?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,828 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

No website yet has all correct times and cheap prices available for September. The cheap prices for most trains only appear on the voyages-SNCF and tgv-europe websites around 90 days before departure.

If the person going to Beaune is intending to rent a car, an alternative train station with very fast direct trains from central Paris Gare de Lyon (though not a particularly frequent service) is le Creusot Montceau - trains take around one hour 20 minutes, and it's less than an hour from Beaune by quiet roads and nearer many key wine areas. Unfortunately the only direct train from CDG to le Creusot arrives very late at night so is not suitable.

I suspect that the route from CDG to Beaune via Lyon is unlikely to be particularly cheap, as although it is reasonably fast and avoids going through Paris, it is nearly twice the distance of going via Paris.

Burgundy
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

There are only 2 trains a day from CDG to Dijon or Le Creusot, all at terribly inconvenient times.

The simplest way to travel is to book the Air France bus in advance, from CDG direct to Gare de Lyon in Paris where there are endless trains to Dijon and a few direct to Beaune.

There are many trains from Dijon to Beaune but there are a lot of steps at Dijon, where you need to change and the elevator is impossible to find.

You can only book about 4 months in advance but the general timetable stays the same. Use www.tgv-europe.com/en for the best prices.

Hope that simplifies the preceeding mass of helpful but a tad confusing information. If it makes you feel any better, it's a nightmare purchasing the best value train tickets even when you live here!

york
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris CDG to Dijon by Rail

Thankyou for all the info really appreciate it but nothings ever straight forward is it, when i've entered Paris Gale de Lyon it gives a few options which i imagine are different platforms so which do i need.

I'm flying into CDG so do i get a shuttle or metro to Gale de lyon? I'm travelling 1st May for anyone else that needs to know.

Also is it worth the extra effort to get to Beaune or should we go to Dijon, if anyone knows of the better place to be we want to do a wine tour :)

Get answers to your questions about Dijon
Recent Conversations