We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Which Dijon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Where would be the prettiest/ most interesting place to stay overnight en route,we are considering driving via the Italian route,but could be pursuaded to drive more direct.thank you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Bump

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Sorry but unless I have misunderstood you, why would the Italian route be a consideration when both Dijon and Cannes are in France?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Because you could take the alpine route via Italy or drive direct,we are looking for the nicest place to stay on this leg of our journey,we are flexible.cheers.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Have you tried mapping somee routes using www.viamichelin.com ?

It would never dawn on me to drive to Cannes via Italy. I think it would be a long and expensive drive.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

I like the route passing by Bourg-en-Bresse, Grenoble, Gap, Digne-les-Bains, then Cannes. But it takes double the time than taking the A7 (which is a quite boring highway).

From there you have different options. You can only take highways... directly to Lyon, then to Grenoble. From Dijon to Dole to Bourg-en-Bress. Taking smaller road from Dijon to Bourg-en-Bress. From Grenoble to Gap staying on the A51 or taking the N85.

It will mostly depends on what you are expecting along your route.

Taking that route, I would stop somewhere between Grenoble and Gap. Actually Gap could be a nice choice. Along that route you also have a few nice stops.

From Grenoble you could also leave Gap behind and pass by Briançon instead and stop there for the night.

So many choices ^.^

There are two main reasons I would not pass through Italy. The first one, a major one for me, would be the toll costs that would come close to 110 euros. And second, I find that you pass near more interesting and lovely sites in France than on that portion of Italy.

Try to get hold on a good map or use www.viamichelin.com to help you out with your planning.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

I agree F1racegirl but as the OP says he is looking for "the nicest place to stay", which makes his question a rather open-ended and subjective one.

IMO I would stick to a route within France and enjoy that part of the country.

Auckland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

You could take the most direct route via Annecy and Briancon. Annecy is a good place to stop for the night and the drive through Valloire takes you through some of the Tour de France mountain passes. Spectacular, but scary even in a car in some places.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Via Annecy is not really the most direct, nor the fastest or the shortest route. But yes it's another option ! :-)

I would not stop in Annecy for the night though since it's a long 7 - 8 hours to get to Cannes from there.

To do so the OP would need to stop for another night on his way to Cannes to fully appreciate it :-)

Edited: 09 September 2013, 23:10
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Agreed that, with a starting point of Dijon and Cannes as the destination, stopping in Annecy is just too far north and fails to break up the trip appropriately. In fact, about 20 years ago we drove almost exactly that route, starting at Talloires (next to Annecy) and ending in St Tropez (near Cannes). We did our overnight stop in the Gorges du Verdun, but that would be too far south for the OP to travel on day 1, given his starting point is significantly further north, in Dijon. Plannaholic's suggestions in the area of Grenoble, Gap, and Briancon are more midway.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Dijon to Cannes

Thank you all,I know realise that the Italian route ( which I did many years ago ) and I take the advice re Grenoble ,Gap etc.

The reason I was thinking of the route via Geneva and the tunnel was that my passengers had not travelled that way before,but yes too far .

Get answers to your questions about Dijon