We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to cdg

nj
Level Contributor
557 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Train to cdg

Am I correct in seeing there is a 7am direct train that gets to airport at 9am

If we have a 1:30 flight this would allow enough time right?

Private Transfer: Gare du Nord Train...
763 Reviews
US$10 per adult
Likely To Sell Out
Paris Rail Day Trip from London
499 Reviews
US$259 per adult
Open Tour Paris Hop-On-Hop-Off
2,365 Reviews
US$41 per adult
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,474 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to cdg

On the SNCF web site, I see a direct train leaving Dijon at 07.14 and arriving at CDG at 09.03 on weekdays. This should give you time for your flight, provided the train is not delayed.

For the best price, book soon after tickets go on sale, usually 3 months before travel, with en.voyages-sncf.com/en

Mentioned in this post
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
nj
Level Contributor
557 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to cdg

ok- we were planning on staying in Beaune- do you think we should stay in Dijon the night before?

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to cdg

At the risk of sounding over-cautious, I respectfully suggest you consider going back to Paris the day before your flight. For a 1:30 p.m. flight, you should plan to hit the check-in counter no later than 10:30 a.m. (This has been standard for 15 years now, and today may no longer be enough; security checks for US-bound flights from Europe are now much, much tighter -- and time-consuming -- than before the November 2015 Paris terror attacks.) But even assuming 10:30 would be safe, what if your train is delayed? This happens. What if there's a rail workers' strike?

It's entirely up to you, of course, and your tolerance for risk. (I'm a belt-and-braces man myself.)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Europe
World
nj
Level Contributor
557 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to cdg

I know- just trying to maximize our time

maybe we can take a late train and stay near airport

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to cdg

I sympathize -- my entire travel history (until recently, anyway) has been one of trying to pack in too much. And I still find myself tempted to backslide into the old habits.

Your late train/airport overnight is probably the most sensible. But -- see above -- you might consider a slightly earlier train into Gare de Lyon for one last dinner in Paris and then out to an airport hotel. Or even a city hotel, then out to CDG in the morning. (Remember the possible rush-hour traffic congestion, though, not to mention possible taxi strikes/protests as occurred a couple of weeks ago.)

Bon voyage.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
nj
Level Contributor
557 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to cdg

good thought- or we can just chance it

whats the worst case- we get stuck in Burgundy :)

Although the grandparents may want us back lol!

Mentioned in this post
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to cdg

Hello again, Lara -- I hadn't planned to add anything to this thread, but I did think of you when reading about the latest workers' protest in Paris this morning. The security and border-control staff at CDG are "working to rule" today, to protest something or other. Air France has issued a bulletin warning of severe delays. One traveler has just posted on TA that going through passport control (for his departing flight to the US, not incoming) took an hour. (Supposedly, they won't let anyone miss their flights. Supposedly.)

The thread is on the Paris forurm, titled "Border Control Disruption." Read it and be advised. And good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Roissy-en-France, France
France
France
Europe
nj
Level Contributor
557 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to cdg

Thank you!

Western Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to cdg

Lara,

If you want to stay in Paris the night before your flight, there are a number of hotels around the Gare du Nord which would simplify getting the RER B straight to the airport the next morning.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,238 Reviews
Paris, France
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
247 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to cdg

I'm on the fence with this one but leaning towards the train in the morning. I've done this several times and been OK (made my flights). I've also driven into the Paris airport several times at the end of my trips. There is always the chance something could go wrong, but I've learned that spending the last night in an airport hotel is anticlimactic and can be a pain in itself. I'm a fairly cautious traveler that way but adding one more night somewhere new at the end of a trip can be a bit of a drag in itself...

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Get answers to your questions about Dijon