We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

Otford
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

We are staying in Amboise over Easter and would like to visit Chenoceau on Easter Sunday, we do not have a car, can anyone recommend a tour or best option for transport please.

15 replies to this topic
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

I don't know about a tour but you can take the train from Amboise to Chenonceaux in less than an hour, usually with a change at St-Pierre-des-Corps. and you can walk from the train station to Château de Chenonceau,

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,055 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

These are the train times )hope it works) reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en…

You'll havre to allow 20-30 minutes to walk to the station in Amboise, and not that there is no way of getting from Chenonceaux back to Amboise between 11.30 and 17.30

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

I've done that but I took the bus. The bus was more convenient for me because it runs right along the river in Amboise whereas the gare is a bit of a hike from it (and the other bank from where you'll be sightseeing).

Here's the local bus company map FWIW, it's line C from Amboise. The theatre bus stop in Amboise is near Clos Luce.

www.tourainefilvert.com/presentation/…

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,056 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

The bus doesn't run on Sundays or public holidays (such as Easter Monday).

Otford
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

Thankyou for your reply this maybe our best option

Otford
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

Thankyou for this information

Level Contributor
639 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

How much will the train ticket cost me?

I took a half-day tour to two châteaux, and believe that the tour was not too expensive. It gives you the comfort, the reduced ticket price, and the briefing about each château on the way to it. Brings you from and sends you back to Amboise Tourist Centre.

Does anybody think it is a better choice? Or is the train or bus a much more economical option? Never knew I could get there by train, so I didn't get to compare the prices...

Level Contributor
639 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

WizardofAus, thanks for the link!

But prices are not available it seems.

The train should be good for an early half-day tour of the Château according to the timetable I found from the website you gave us, but the price does matter.

😊

Edited: 12 March 2017, 09:53
Otford
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

I have made enquiries for a half day tour however we can only do this on the sunday and was advised the tour does not operate on a Sunday. I have emailed our Hotel to see the possibility of booking a taxi to take and pick us up. This maynot be the most economical but maybe best timewise

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,056 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise

On a Sunday, a taxi is going to be around € 35 to € 40 each way and has to be pre-booked each way. The chateau is likely to be busy on Easter Sunday so I don't know how you will estimate when you would require the return taxi.

Reply to: Getting to Chenoceau Castle from Amboise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amboise