We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amboise

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Amboise

My husband and I are planning our 25th anniversary trip to Paris. We have allotted 2 nights to stay in Amboise. We originally thought we would rent a car then learned there was a train. I have a few questions.

Will we be ok in Amboise without a car? Is there enough to do there for a 2 and a half day trip? And where would you stay? I was looking at the St. Thomas beautiful outside looks a tad run down inside but says easy walk to town.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amboise

Amboise is a small French country town, much day visited by coach tours because its within easy reach of the Autoroute. I have no doubt you could spend 2 days there, but it would be as a stay in a very busy (depending on time of year) small town. There are some nice corners, but on a busy day there will no quiet places. You are, however, wise not to have a car and stay there as parking is a problem, and driving in town there still phases me

You will need some for of transport if you want to see anything but Amboise itself - relying on public transport to get from place to place will be problematical as it's designed for locals. You will be able to catch the school bus to Chenonceau, for instance, but then you will have to return via Tours on the train.

Don't know anyone who has stayed at the St Thomas, in fact I had never heard of it until your post, but that's not unusual, we spend very little time in Amboise (see my comment about driving). Its only a small town so anywhere is walking distance of the town (except the car hire place, which is out on the ring road)

Edited: 19 February 2017, 08:01
Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,945 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amboise

I could recommend Tours, near the old town (Place Plumereau), without a car. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping, cafés, museums, etc. but Amboise is a small town. There is rail service to Amobise but the train station is a long walk from the town, particularly with luggage.

I am not sure what one would do in Amboise without a car for 2 days. I wouldn´t suggest it.

Mentioned in this post
Place Plumereau
Place Plumereau
1,012 Reviews
Tours, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amboise

I have stayed in Amboise for a week as a base to visit some of the châteaux but we had our own car and tend to be happy driving fairly long distances. If this is your only stop in the area then, while you could spend two days there, it wouldn't really do justice to the Loire valley.

We liked Amboise castle more than we expected and ate out passably well. As we were self catering we liked the market and the various bakeries. It was May when we were there and we didn't have any problems driving around or parking.

Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amboise

A bike rental and ride for an afternoon on one of the many paths extending outward from Amboise will soak up any extra time you feel lingering. One could always walk the path too.

You could also take the train on a day trip.

Enjoy, A+

Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amboise

Hello! I just found your comment in the Trip Advisor Forum. There will be three of us coming to visit the Loire Valley from Virginia USA in early May--my mom (81), me (59), my daughter (24). We will be in France for 2 weeks and aren't sure how much time to allow in the Loire and whether we should stay in one place while there. Also, we are thinking to rent a car, but are worried that parking will be a problem.

Can you suggest somewhere convenient and quaint for lodging? Although a lot of the tour books seem to suggest Amboise, it sounds like that is very crowded and with not much parking. Tours might be fine, but I'm not sure whether that's also too touristy. We are looking for moderate priced lodging, convenience to restaurants and coffee shops, etc. and a place where we can park. Any help appreciated! Thanks,

Denise

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
France
France
Europe
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Amboise

Hi there,

I found your post on Trip Advisor. I will be in the Loire Valley with my mother and daughter in early May. Would you recommend the place you stayed in Tours? If so, can you share where you stayed? Or , if you know of other places to recommend that are in the moderate price range. Thanks!

Denise

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
7. Re: Amboise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2017, 07:05
8. Re: Amboise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2017, 07:05
Level Contributor
639 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amboise

One whole day would be barely sufficient for visiting the castle and the Da Vinci attraction alone.

We stayed there a couple of days, just joined day tours to visit the nearby castles for one and a half day, and we're very happy walking around enjoying the scenery as well as the small shops.

Level Contributor
639 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amboise

P.S.: I don't know how to drive.

Should be good without a car in Amboise. You can get to Tours quite conveniently.

Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France