We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blere in Loire valley

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Blere in Loire valley

Has anyone stayed in Blere? there is a good recommendation for Le Cheval Blanc. How far is it from Amboise? and is it easy to get there.

Special Offer
Loire Valley Castles Tour from Paris...
798 reviews
from US$176.68*
US$200.80
Small-Group Loire Valley Three Top...
36 reviews
from US$265.20*
Small-Group Loire Valley Castles Day...
58 reviews
from US$305.60*
Special Offer
Normandy, Saint-Malo, Mont St-Michel...
33 reviews
from US$919.40*
US$1,021.50
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blere in Loire valley

I have never stayed there (Its too close to home), but have driven through a number of times.

It's a pretty town on the Cher river, to my mind one of the prettiest rivers in the area. It's only just across the hill from Amboise (about 10km) but a lot more relaxed than Amboise because it doesnt have the sheer weight of tourists going through.

The wine Co-op is ok, apparently (I woulddn't know)

For those who are interested, yes, I have a roof!

toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blere in Loire valley

Blere is a wonderful place to use as a base to visit this part of the valley. There is a b and b, Le Belvedere, which is worth a visit. It is a beautiful house and garden with a unique design of genuine historical interest. The Cheval Blanc, across the street, is a very tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i13513-Restaura…

good michelin one star restaurant. I found the lobster, sweet breads, wine list (including locals), and armagnacs to be all memorable. Chenanceaux, a must see chateaux, is a lovely 6 kilometer walk -- car free -- along the River Cher, a tributary of the Loire. If you walk there and back be sure to cross the river at the bridge before you get to the castle to get to its entrance. Amboise is a 10km walk -- 80%percent car free, lovely fields and woods -- from Blere. Its a little hardier; the tourist office has pedestrian maps. (My wife and I took a cab back, about 15 euros with tip). Loches is an easy 10 minute drive, etc. As for eating, Danielle and Jean-Renaud, the owner's of Le Belvedere will guide you if need be, but there are several modest restaurants with good food if you don't want to eat at the Cheval Blanc every night.

CA
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blere in Loire valley

Heading down the main street toward the Cher, there is a picnic area to the right.

4. Re: Blere in Loire valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 13:19