We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do 5 days in Amboise

New Zealand
Level Contributor
140 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
What to do 5 days in Amboise

Hi everyone

Some advice needed. We have just booked into a B&B called Belleroche on the Loire 5 mins from Amboise. This we are going to use as our base to discover the area for 5 days. Now I know we are going in prime tourist season July and I'm not one for crowds and guided bus trips. So we have our own car and intend to get up early and hit the sites before the tour coaches if possible, any thoughts here?

Also what would be the suggested must sees of the area and any off the beaten non tourist places to go?

With our kiwi dollar really low at the moment we'll be eating bread and cheese everyday but you may know of some hidden gems that don't see the tourists as a rich gravy train. I'd rather mix it with the locals anytime.

Any advice would be great.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do 5 days in Amboise

Have a wonderful time. I think a stay in Loches will be a great treat. A most interesting and picturesque place. I wish we had had longer to visit it.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do 5 days in Amboise

There is a list of markets on this site:

pagesperso-orange.fr/mairiedetruyes/tourisme…

the site was set up some time ago, but I think the information is still current.

There is another site, but it is in French, and may be harder for you to navigate around

guide37.com/index.php/les-guides-thematiques…

Mozambique
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do 5 days in Amboise

Hello!

I guess you're back from your trip and I have some questions for you if you don't mind!

I was thinking of staying at Loches in the same hotel you mentioned, LeLogis du Bief (am on a serious budget!). But have just yesterday started leaning toward Amboise, as I thought perhaps Loches was too far out to be practical for the main chateaux. Although I like pottering around the scenery, I DO want to see some chateaux!

So, did you find Loches central enough to be able to visit lots of places? Did you like that hotel?

Any tips, thoughts, ideas based on your trip? If you stayed in Loches and visited some chateaux, care to share your itinerary for how you budgeted your time/driving?

We will be there the end of October for three nights and will have a car.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to do 5 days in Amboise

It depends what you call the main chateaux - Amboise is convenient for Amboise chateaux (no surprise there, but really only worth a visit if you're in the area) and Chenonceau, but Loches is less than 30 minutes away from both.

For Chambord and Cheverny, Amboise is about 12 miles closer to both, and the same for Azay le Rideau and Villandry. On the other hand, Loches is closer to Loches chateau and Montrésor, has a lot less tourists, and much better restaurants.

The lack of tourists is simply because it's less convenient for bus tour operators, and is no reflection on the town itself.

Simon

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/

Mozambique
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What to do 5 days in Amboise

"It depends what you call the main chateaux - Amboise is convenient for Amboise chateaux (no surprise there, but really only worth a visit if you're in the area) and Chenonceau, but Loches is less than 30 minutes away from both.

For Chambord and Cheverny, Amboise is about 12 miles closer to both, and the same for Azay le Rideau and Villandry. On the other hand, Loches is closer to Loches chateau and Montrésor, has a lot less tourists, and much better restaurants."

Well, the first chateaux you list are the ones I mean, essentially! Chenonceau, Chambord, Cheverny, Azay le Rideau and Villandry, with hopefully a drive by Usse'! Those are probably tops on my list to see. Even if I stayed in Amboise, chances are I would simply enjoy it from the outside, same if I stayed in Loches, would probably only see it from the outside as well unless something grabs me and changes my mind!

I've written a couple queries on the Loire Valley forum about this, weighing the option between staying in what seems like such a charming town a little further from the action, Loches, or staying more centrally in Amboise (or elsewhere) and just visiting Loches.

it's just funny to me that I thought I had settled on Loches and chosen the same hotel this poster mentions, until last night when I almost completely changed my mind and decided to stay in Amboise. So when I read his post where he does the opposite, I had to ask his thoughts and experience! Especially, if he stayed in Loches, and visited any of the chateaux, how he organized the day trips.

But from what you say, 12 miles and 30 minutes are really not all that far away, especially since we would combine visits. And I really look forward to driving around the area and enjoying the scenery so don't mind a bit of a drive. Hmm, I guess I thought Loches was further away than that.

Thanks Simon!

And the Kiwi poster, I've forgotten your name at the moment, would love to hear your thoughts if you're still getting these posts!

16. Re: What to do 5 days in Amboise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Amboise