We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving through loire valley

Which Amboise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving through loire valley

My husband and I will be staying 2 days in the Chateau de Noizay, between Amboise and Tours.Tying to decide whether to take train from Paris to Orleans or Tours, and renting a car, or hiring a driver to pick us up and take us sight-seeing. Is driving difficult in the valley? Anyone know anything about this hotel we are staying in? Suggestions of fun, different things to do?

Thanks

Peggy

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving through loire valley

You could drive from Paris, pickup a rental at St Pierre des Corps (Tours), or hire a driver.

For rentals, check here:

www.autoeurope.com

For guides with custom itineraries, check here:

http://www.tourtheloire.com/

For nightlife, which is limited in the Loire Valley, or restaurants, consider Place Plumereau in Tours

http://ligeris.com/

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving through loire valley

Driving in general is not difficult in France, especially in the countryside.

So not to worry about driving in the Loire Valley. The only thing is to expect more trafic in or around Tour.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,000 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving through loire valley

Driving the country roads of the Loire valley is no more difficult than driving country roads in the USA.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving through loire valley

Driving isnt usually difficult in the Loire Valley, but it does depend when you're travelling. July, August and September can be difficult because of the combination of holiday traffic and farm machinery, and you have to allow a lot more time than you think. Noizay to Tours, for instance, will take you the best part of 45 minutes, even though it is only 12 miles.

I know nothing about the chateau at Noizay - none of our clients have ever stayed there. However, it does seem a bit remote if you're thinking about dining anywhere but in the hotel itself.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 22:11
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving through loire valley

Thanks for your replies. We would be dining at the Chateau. Is there another hotel you would recommend? Also, would it be best to take the train from Paris to Orleans, or Paris to Tours, and could we rent a car at the train station?

Thanks

6. Re: driving through loire valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 15:05
Edited: 11 June 2014, 15:05
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving through loire valley

Thanks I'll look into it!

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving through loire valley

Taking the train to Tour would bring you in a more central location than Orléans that is at the extreme East of the Loire Valley.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving through loire valley

Bonjour, Peggy,

We rode the train to Orleans and rented a car there. On the way to our B&B, we stopped off at the chateau of Chambord. I believe that Blois is also on the way. I am not saying that this is what you should do; just suggesting it as another way.

Our trip was in September; the roads were not crowded. It was very pleasant driving.

MrsJAS

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving through loire valley

One more question: If we are going to rent a car, should we just tour the chateauxs on our own, or sign up for tours? One tour by boat along the river looked kinda interesting. What do you think?