We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Wanting to avoid Tours

We have booked a two night stay in Saumur in June and thought that maybe Amboise would be our next stop. The hotels we were interested in are all booked up.

We would prefer smaller towns and wondered what Blois would be like.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Blois, France
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

There isn't such a wide choice of hotels in Blois as you will of seen in Amboise, mainly because although Blois does get very busy with tourists and visitors, we do not get the coach load after coach load that arrives daily into Amboise.

If you prefer smaller towns with lots of charm than I am sure you will be happy staying in Blois. The added bonus also that the Chateau of Blois is right in the centre of town so no travelling required. Chambord is also a short drive/bus ride away.

I read in your earlier post that you prefer walking to restaurants in the evenings, so again Blois will be the perfect choice.

If you let me know your accommodation budget I will happily post some links and recommendations to hotels and restaurants for you.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

Personally I should not recommend your avoiding Tours anywhere nearly as strongly as I recommend your avoiding Amboise. In the last number of years, Amboise has become over run with waves of tourists and its chateau is not among the best the Loire Valley has to offer.

Take the previous posters offer for help and stay in or near Blois.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

Thanks very much Imisscornwall and Sarastro for you prompt replies - greatly appreciated.

As to budget, we probably woulnd't want to spend more than about 120 -140 euros per night. As we'll be bringing the car, parking at the premises would be a plus.

So, if you have any recommendations, we'd be glad of your help.

Thanks again.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

I had originally wanted to stay in Blois, but had enough of changing trains/finding platforms etc., that opted for Tours, and was a pleasant surprise. Its a lovely city, and with a great old quarter, friendly, and accommodation quite cheap. Am doing my day trips from here at moment, tho very cold and blustery.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

Thanks for your input Northgld - hope you are having a wonderful time. Part of the reason we wanted to avoid Tours is that we're bringing the car and didn't fancy fighting traffic. Hopefully by the time we're there in June it will have warmed up a little.

Parts of the U.K. are expecting snow this Easter weekend, so you're not doing so bad.

Thanks again!

Blois, France
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

The Mercure is situated right in the middle of Blois about 5-10 mins walk to the Chateau and very close to lots of restaurants.

It has a private car park, indoor swimming pool etc and is about right on your budget.

accorhotels.com/accorhotels/fichehotel/gb/me…

Unfortunately there are no Chateau hotels close to Blois centre, but although part of a large chain the Blois Mercure is actually a very nice hotel.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

Actually Tours is not too bad for traffic. It is a long, narrow town, spanning the Loire in the north and the Cher in the south; with the A10 motorway going through it from north to south. From the Tours centre exit on the motorway you can be in the centre of Tours in about 5 minutes. I used to work in Tours and used to drive in every day. It was far easier than when I used to commute down the M40 to Uxbridge.

So don't rule out Tours because of traffic. As a previous posting said, it does have a very interesting old quarter, with lots of restaurants.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

Thanks to everyone for all your input - what did we do before this web site - amazing eh?

Really looking forward to our trip almost done with the planning, although consider that part of the excitement of visiting somewhere new.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

I must confess that in spite of all I read in this forum about the traffic in Tours and other imponderable aspects, Tours is really the only place to base one's self when visiting the Loire Valley. (Admittedly, I once lived here.)

Tours is a wonderful city full of unforgettable restaurants, fascinating museums, interesting shopping, charming outdoor markets, and awe inspiring architecture; not to mention it is the geographical dead center of the Loire Valley. Stay at one of the many hotels near Vieux Tours or the University and all that this city has to offer is within easy walking distance.

Certainly there are some charming chambres d'hotes and small hotels nearby, good for a one or two night's stay but I find the activity and cultural advantages of Tours to be a much more compelling place to stay.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wanting to avoid Tours

Hi Valleygirl

Just another add on ..... went to Blois a few days ago, its chateau is lovely, streets very steep and winding, very pretty. HAd a wander around, and was finished in 2 hours, and headed to Orleans on train.

I did want to stay in Blois, but glad I opted for Tours.

Just to make it hard for you : )