We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Which Loches hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Topic
Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

This is marked on the Michelin 1:200,000 map just north of

Loches on (I think) the east side of the river. Does anyone have any information about what there is to see - how much of the aqueduct is left? I'd also appreciate directions to find it.

Thanks

MD
Level Contributor
709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

I think we've seen this, in the rain, so my photos and memory are both misty. It isn't much, one or two arches on the east side of the river. It's along the D25 north of Beaulieu-les-Loches at l'Ile Auger. There's a small sign along the road, a place to park, and then a short walk downhill.

You can get a good overview of the area using the Geoportail.fr website.

While you are there you'll be near one of my favorite villages in France--Chedigny. Please don't miss it!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Two arches of what is more likely to be a bridge than an aqueduct. I have written abou it here. …blogspot.com/2007/03/roman-bridge.html "Roman" in French architecture means romanesque, so it could date from 2nd century BC to 12th century (or maybe even later if the local builders hadn't caught up with pointed arches). There is also supposedly a roman aquaduct at Montresor, but it is a pipe through the hill rather than a built structure.

A much better aqueduct is at Luynes

Edited: 04 December 2011, 16:16
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Thanks for coming back so quickly with the information.

Wizardof Aus can you give me directions for the Luynes aqueduct as we will be up round that area another day - research hasn't got that far yet.

Cloverdale, do tell me more about Chedigny. I can't find out much information about it on the web and the guide books don't mention it.

We have a week based in Perruson and I am just beginning to read up about the area. We don't want to spend all week doing the chateaux (although there are a few like Chenonceau which are on my 'must do' list). We are also wanting to see the bits that are ignored by the guide books. I was thinking of spending a morning round Loches, then driving along the main road to Cormery and then pottering back down D25 before cutting across through Chedigne and Genille to Montressor

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: 04 December 2011, 16:32
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Bealieu les loches is worth exploring, as is Loches itself. You could easily spend a whole day in Loches/Beaulieu.

Even at full on potter mode in a classic car, Loches to Cormery via the long route is only about 1/2 hour. The views are pretty, but there is nothing much of note along the way. Most of the villages in the area are worth stopping to look at for 15 minutes or so, but stop at too many in one day and they will all meld into one in your memory.

Chatillon sur Indre is an interesting and quite picturesque town, and from there it's an easy trip into the Brenne.

Do take the time to go into the chateau at Montresor - many people don't bother, which is a pity.

Have a read through my blog - we've written most of the area up at some stage or another. …blogspot.com/search/…20area

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

http://g.co/maps/et29b

Luynes aqueduct

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Thanks for the additional information. Luynes aqueduct is amazing. We'll definitley have to make an effort to see it.

I've enjoyed reading your blog and have a few more questions.

Montrésor - This is on the list and we are wanting to visit. Is there anything special about the Chateau which we ought to look out for?

I'm assuming we can wander round the inside of the chateau by ourselves and it is not by guided tour. Can we take photos of the inside? How long do we need to allow for a visit? Does it get busy with coach tours and if so what is the best time to avoid the worst of the crowds?

You make a reference to visiting visited La Corroirie. This may be the idiot's question, but how do you do this? Can you just turn up? I've been reading the website but can't find any mention of visits.

Thanks

MD
Level Contributor
709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Chedigny has a rose festival (May or June) and also a blues festival in August. You can probably see more of the town and its flowers when there isn't a crowd.

This seems to be the village blog with links to photos: http://chedigny.canalblog.com/

I've also come across photos of Chedigny on flickr and Panoramio (and probably other photo-sharing websites).

The river drive on the D17 the whole way from Azay-le-Rideau to Loches is scenic (with a slight increase in scenicity heading upstream). If you have time it beats the D943. The chateau at Reignac is on the other side of the Indre, worth a short drive across the bridge--it's just a drive-by, so it won't contribute to chateau overload.

Do you have a Michelin map with the green roads marked? This is a lovely area just to go for a scenic drive.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Montresor is a time capsule from 1870something. The owner is a descendant of the man who restored it back then and he and his wife are usually around when it's open. I don't think it gets many coachloads, it is just that little bit too far off the autoroute. The tour is self guided, and its appeal lies in its completeness (and location). Some of the medieval paintings are amazing - how they have survived still in the family is anyone's guess. You can take photos, but no flash. I suppose an hour or so for the visit inside, 30 minutes walking the walls, and another hour walking along the river.

La Corroirie, I think you can just knock on the door - we usually email to let Jeff know we are coming, but thta's just to make absolutely sure whoever we have with us won't be disappointed.

I must have driven through Chedigny at some time, but I honestly don't remember it - see my comment about them all melding into one :¬)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

Thank you both for your help. I'm using the Michelin map which marks the green scenic roads. We are visiting beginning of September so hope to miss the worst of the crowds. We are giving the big towns a miss and concentrating on the smaller places, especially those off the usual tourist route.

Montresor sounds just our sort of place. Husband takes photos and gets very frustrated if no photography is allowed.

Well that's one very full and exciting day planned.

10. Re: Gallo Roman Aqueduct near Loches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Loches