We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bits of Tours

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bits of Tours

This will be our first and probably only trip to Tours. I would like to ask the people who live in Tours - or those of you who have been there what are the 3 places you would suggest for a tourist that would give a great impression of your town. I have certainly thought more about my own town since I started travelling and I have managed to narrow places I would suggest people see down to three things. It certainly took me sometime but now when people ask me I can give them my honest opinion of my own town and what my favourite places that I would send a tourist. It is certainly well worth thinking about.

Many thanks in advance, I will be looking forward to writing them down.

Best wishes,

Keren

Busselton

Western Australia

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bits of Tours

Hi Keren, I'm looking forward to reading the replies you get as this is on our itinerary as well and as yet I haven't finalised the details of our Loire Valley trip. Will you be hiring a car, or relying on trains etc?

Kay

Melbourne

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bits of Tours

The old part of town, The Place Plumereau is full of life and very interesting, specially at night. There are many great restaurants in the city and the old Cathedral is particularly impressive, specially in the early evenings if you can catch the nuns, still dressed in the old habits, singing the vespers. Around tours are the castles of the Loire, don't miss Valencay, Villandry , Amboise and the Abbey of Fontegrave where legend has it that Eleanor of Aquitine, Henry !! and Richard Coeur d' Lion are buried. The castle of Chinon is the legendary site of the play Lion in Winter.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bits of Tours

Hi Keren,

I guess the short answer to your question , might be another question, what type/sort of things interest you?

If you have a look at www.tours-tourisme.fr/ which is the Tourist office in Tours - immediately opposite the main rail station (click on the English option) you will get a good idea of what you can expect in wonderful Tours.

The Tourist Office arranges guided tours (as in expeditions etc) of the châteaux and vineyards - it is a good option - saves driving if that's what you are planning.

Tours is a beautiful town - if you are lucky you may strike the markets (food, flowers, farm produce, antiques etc, etc) which are held in the parkland in the centre of one of the main thoroughfares (don't remember the name) - but it all boils down to - what - you like !

Have a great trip !

Edited: 19 August 2012, 07:26
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bits of Tours

Vada, It is immaterial what interests me because I have never been to France and so I am depending on the local person to guide me. I like to walk, drink coffee and meet new people, but in saying that I am to be guided by the locals. I was hoping for some comment from Tours people being so proud of their town that they would all be giving me three things to see. I make my list and then when I arrive I am sure that I will cover more than three local things to do. Seems that the Tours people or even the destination expert has doubts of the delights of their town. I will still wait and watch what happens and hope that the local people will help me like I do for our tourists here in Busselton.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bits of Tours

The Cathedral - Stained glass as good as (and the same age as) Chartres, but without the crowds.

Musée du Compagnonnage, a museum of the trades guilds. More Interesting than you might think possible. http://www.museecompagnonnage.fr/

Le Prieure Saint-Cosme, where the Poet Ronsard lived and worked.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bits of Tours

It is absolutely crucial what interests you -- the Top Three things that would fascinate Kay might bore WEQueen out of her mind, and Vada might only like one of the three, and you might think one was stellar, one was a waste of time, and one was just okay.

It's extreme, I realize -- but suppose there's someone who's blind. If the top attraction in a given town was spectacular stained-glass windows, would you take them there, because it's the top attraction? Or would you be a little more sensitive to the visitor's interests and abilities?

I think what you're not grasping is that there is SO MUCH to do and see in and around Tours that narrowing it down to just three regardless of interest is a disservice to the city and to the visitor.

And why would you spend your vacation seeing something you had no interest in just because it ranked as a most-visited attraction in the city?

There are choices for lots of different tastes and interests...it's up to you to discover (or tell us) what interests you.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bits of Tours

Have no fear I an see there is too much to see but in saying that I only have 4 days and I am not going to see everything. But in saying that if everyone can give me three things they would suggest to their best friend because they are proud of that thing in their town then I am going to have a great choice for when I arrive. I have never been to Vienna so I really have no idea what my choice could be. Hopefully there is a walk I could do and that should cover a few of the things that the lovely local people can suggest to the 3 of us. I am not going to say I dont like this or I like that because it is all new.!

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Bits of Tours

Keren,

I have visited beautiful Tours twice in recent years and on each occasion have been delighted in finding different things to do and see.

The people on this site (TA) are not travel agents - but traveller's who are willing to go out of their way - based upon their experiences to help others.

I find your response/s - personally offensive - I only tried to help a fellow Aussie.

I would suggest that you change your attitude - do something to help yourself - do some research - buy/borrow travel books and come back to this forum with some specific and intelligently thought out and considered questions instead of slamming people trying to help you with your b r o a r d questions.

Why would locals in particular try to assist someone that is not willing to help themselves ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Bits of Tours

What we are all trying to say is that Tours is a beautiful town with many things to see, all from different points of view, and it really depends on you what interests you: history, art, gastronomy, shopping, etc. If you give a guide, then

the rest of the posters and can chime in with their recommendations. Has to begin somewhere. Most of us are/were visitors as well and we started by doing our own research, ie, reading guide books and consulting travel sites each looking for what interests "us". All posters are trying to be helpful but you also need to pitch in and tell what you like.

You say you have a limited time and can't see everything, so if we knew what it is you like it would be easier to point you in the right direction. We would not be wasting our precious time, and "yours."

Sunshine resides in France and is giving you the best answer to your question.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Bits of Tours

Kay, WEqueen, and Sunshine817

Many thanks for your comments and they have been added to my list.

If I have upset or offended anyone please accept my apology.

I have so many travel books in front of me and my list is just so long - and my time too short that I thought that asking locals would help me limit my list. I eat and shop nearly every day so that is not so interesting - I will do that anyway it was more points of interest, buildings, castles - things I dont have in my own state. It is not any one thing I want to see maybe if I tell you the area in which I am staying that may help narrow it down. We are staying in Indre et Loire and am hoping that it will be easy to get to "the list of things" from there.