We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vouvray to Tours by bus

Which Tours hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Vouvray to Tours by bus

Good afternoon,

We will be staying in Tours and would like to walk to Vouvray and have a picnic and then catch a bus back to Tours. Can someone tell me is this at all possible?

Many thanks in advance.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

Here is a link to the bus schedule: filbleu.fr/telecharge/…ligne_61.pdf

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

Thanks that was quick - appreciate it.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

Is there a reason you've chosen to stay in Tours? It would be the last place I'd recommend for a visit to the Loire, but perhaps you have a good reason.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

I do not like cities and would not dream of staying in Paris and Tours is far enough away and I can get to the area I want to see from here thanks.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

StCirq - would love to know what your problem with Tours is....

I like Tours - It's a pretty small town with good transport links, plenty of restaurants and hotels and a nice vibey feel. It's the most connected town in the Loire Valley, so if you're wanting to do stuff by public transport it's your only option. Stay anywhere else, and every day you're going to have to travel to Tours before you can get anywhere.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

If you are staying in Tours you can also use the Train to get you to lots of Chateaux and have your picnic out there in Amboise Chinon and several others allreachable by train most are within 40 mins Amboise is only 17 mins away you could walk back like I did on one of my trips takes a bit longer and dont forget there are lots of great places in Tours itself all along the river has some lovely spots to sit and have lunch.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

Wrappido, we can try that too but walking by the river and just watching people go about their lives is also interesting for us. I hope we do not have too much trouble as I have never learned French, but I can say hello and thanks and sing a few songs LOL. I am so looking forward to coming to Tours - if I get to Paris it will only be for a day and a quick walk around will be enough city for me!!! My boss and his wife went last year and he said he got fed up waiting in queues to get into things. I think I will stick with looking from the outside, eating pastries and sipping coffee. What more could you want!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

For those without a car, Tours is ideal: restaurants, cafés, shopping, museums, and concerts. However, I would only stay in the old part of the city, that area roughly defined as between Tours Centre and Place Plumereau.

If you have a car, consider outside of Tours and the rush hour traffic has become a nuisance.

Vouvray is about 10km from Tours, about a 3 hour walk.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

Sarastro,

It takes you 3 hours to walk 10km! We do it every morning and it takes us 1.5-2 hrs depending on how much talking we do on the way. Unfortunately I could not get what I wanted and for the price we could afford in your "ideal" area. So we are in an area outside of the best place but we will make the most of it and will walk where there is no transport and use it when we can and need. I do appreciate you comments though, but sometime it is not possible.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vouvray to Tours by bus

keza - good for you but the time estimate is from mappy.fr. I wouldn´t walk from Tours to Vouvray personally, it´s uphill and that´s a good distance.

Have you actually been to Tours before? You do not want to stay outside of old Tours, it´s become industrial, devoid of charm, and services will be few. If you want to sip coffee, eat pastries, and absorb atmosphere, you could be very disappointed.

If it´s price that is the determining factor, consider:

http://www.hotel-ronsard.com/

http://hotel.manoir.tours.voila.net/

Hotel Ronsard is newly redecorated, very basic but clean and very well located.

Alternatively, there are several very nice chambres d´hôtes for as little as 45€ a night for 2, including breakfast, the evening meal is 15€ each:

Chez Nina Thurey

Chez Olivier et Marion Delisle (this couple if fluent in English)

Book either of the above through the Office de Tourisme:

www.ligeris.com