We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need to travel from Tours to Avignon by train

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
I need to travel from Tours to Avignon by train

What is the best way to get to Avignon by train from Tours, would it be via Paris or Via CDG. looking for the easiest route, on a weekday.

We have the whole day to travel and it will be in December. So if someone has a recommendation as to the best time /station.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need to travel from Tours to Avignon by train

The change at CDG would be easier. If you change in Paris, you have to transfer from Gare de Lyon to Gare Montparnasse.

However, I can see one train a day that will take you from St-Pierre-des-Corps station (in a suburb of Tours) to Avignon without the need for any change of train. This leaves St-Pierre at 14.31 and arrives at Avignon TGV at 18.45.

For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer. Times for December will not be published until September.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid the possibility of being transferred to RailEurope, which usually has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need to travel from Tours to Avignon by train

thankyou your answer was very helpful. I will opt for the direct train and prebook as you advise. The notes were good to read so I know what to expect.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need to travel from Tours to Avignon by train

Have just booked my tickets thanks to your instructions.

4. Re: I need to travel from Tours to Avignon by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:16