We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

Which Tours hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
117 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

I really need help squashing a nagging question in my mind. I am to fly into CDG and make my way to my lodgings in Monthodon. I have seen many people suggest taking the TGV to Tours from CDG and renting a car from saint-pierre-des-corps. Why is this better than getting a car from the airport and driving to the area? I can't price my ticket yet because I am leaving in mid September and they aren't for sale yet. I told the place where I was staying that I planned to take the train then rent a car in Tours and they said that I should just rent it at the airport and drive there. So I am looking for more direction....thanks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

It's better because it's a very bad idea to spend all night on a plane and then think you can get in a rental car and drive for a few hours. You could be a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road.

Besides, the train is very relaxing. Unless you've got loads of experience driving in a foreign country, you're likely to be spooked about road signs, instruments on the car, etc., unless you've really done great research.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

hi

First reason is that it avoids driving in Paris traffic; it you are comfortable doing that then a car hire is a good option.

The other BIG one is that if you are coming in on an overnight flight you will more than likely will have jet lag. Driving for more than 1 hr after landing is really really not recommended.

Cost of TGV - 3 months ahead comes up with about 50 euros per passenger for CDG -Tours centre ville. You need to figure out if that is cost effective i.e how many passengers

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,877 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

Mainly because you have to drive around the Periferique in Paris (a town you probably don't know terribly well) in a car you have never driven before, then drive on high speed roads (80mph) for a couple of hours. Do you really want to be doing that after a sleepless night?

One question I always ask people who intend doing this is "do you know who has right of way on the Paris ring road?" - and if they think the answer is bizarre I advise them not to drive.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

I would second the advice about the wisdom of driving in a strange country after a long overnight flight. I do it when returning to France after a long haul flight, but then I am used to driving in France and know the route. However, should you decide to rent a car at CDG, you do not need to take the periferique, which can be daunting. I always take the A3, A86, and then join the A10 south of Paris. You still need to be alert and look out for signs; however it is well signed - you follow the signs to A10 Bordeaux. I did it last month.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,971 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

From CDG to A10, if A86 is blocked, I go even farther east taking the backside airport exit to N2, then N104 to A10.

However, do not attempt to drive to the Loire Valley from CDG after an all night flight. Take the train to St Pierre des Corps and rent a car there for the short drive to Monthodon.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 08:12
Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
117 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

Thank you all so much for considering my situation and offering your advice. I think there may have been much lost in translation between myself and the owner of the B&B originally. After I explained myself again in a different way they too said that taking the train is indeed a good plan.

7. Re: Best way to get to Tours from CDG with car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:16