We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

loire valley touring

Hobart
Level Contributor
15 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
loire valley touring

Hi we are travelling from Paris through the Loire valley and hoping for some info on smaller more "French" experience towns to stay in travelling via train (even local buses ).We are heading south to Bordeaux and definitely want to visit Chateau De Villandry we have 4 days any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ( have been to Chambord and Chenonceau on a previous trip)

New Mexico, USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: loire valley touring

I just got back from Loire Valley. Really enjoyed Chaumont-sur-Loire Chateau gardens. Inside the chateau itself is not as spectacular as Villandry or Chenonceau, but we spent the entire day in the gardens. The flowers are incredible, and the gardens are interspersed with sculptures by modern artists. If you go, do not miss "Autres Natures" digital interactive art by Miguel Chevalier in the Farmyard.

I'm not sure if you can get to Bourre by train or bus, we were driving. But we stayed at a B&B there which is in a farmhouse built in the 1700s (interior is updated!). We were there a week, and all the other guests were French. We felt like we were having a "french experience".

In Amboise you can visit the open air market by the river on Fridays and Sundays. We bought goat cheese, sausages, baguette. There were flowers, plants, clothes, jewelry, etc. You will be mingling with the locals.Afterwards we visited Chateau du Clos Luce, the chateau where Leonardo da Vinci lived his last four years of life. It has models built from of his ideas, inside the house and on the grounds.There is also a chateau where King Francois I lived. We did not have time to tour it.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: loire valley touring

Travelling by public transport you are best off staying in Tours itself, From there Villandry is usually pretty easy (by bus, plan on a visit of between 90 minutes and 2 hours), Chaumont sur Loire is not too difficult (train to Onzain, then a 20 minute walk each way). Loches is easy and well worth visiting, Chinon is easily accessible and also worth visiting. Azay le Rideau can be easy depending on the time of day,

Stay anywhere but Tours, and you will be travelling to Tours or Saint Pierre des Corpsevery as your first act of the day. Bus timetables are here http://www.tourainefilvert.com/ and the bus costs 2€10 per person per trip

singapore
Level Contributor
396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: loire valley touring

I would like to visit the Loire Valley this autumn and have only allocated 5D for it. My preferred choice is by pubic transport. Do I need to rent a car as I am now used to driving on the other side of the road.

Where should I go for the 5D allocated for Loire Valley and where should I make it as my base?

singapore
Level Contributor
396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: loire valley touring

flyfisherwoman, what is the name of the b&b un the 17th century farmhouse? I would like to stay if possible.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: loire valley touring

soohiang - most farmhouses doing accommodation seem to be 17th century, you don't need to go our of your way to find them. Personally, I would look for something old - 14th or 15th century is my preference.

by 5D do you mean 5 days?

singapore
Level Contributor
396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: loire valley touring

Thank you Wizard of Aus,

Do you think I can get around by public transportation in Loire Valley as I don't intend to drive?

7. Re: loire valley touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:16