We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B, Epernay area

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
B&B, Epernay area

Can anybody help? I have been to Champagne many times, stopping in Reims, Epernay and Ay. I wanted to have a change next year and stay in a small B&B near Epernay or Reims but also close to lots of smaller Champagne villages and houses to taste a wider range.

Can anybody recommend a nice B&B in this area, near lots of houses but close enough to Epernay so I can catch the train?

Many thanks

Champagne, France
Level Contributor
291 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B, Epernay area

Hello there, I am unable to recommend anything to you, but check out the reviews on this site for B&Bs in the region and you'll find lots of good ones :-)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B, Epernay area

The aptly named village of Bouzy could well suit your needs.

Les Barbotines is at the Champagne house Paul Clouet. Their champagnes are pretty good but they are also the sister house to Bonnaire from Cramant - whose Chardonnay wines are superb. When we visited Bonnaire, we were able to try and buy Paul Clouet so you should be able to do the reverse at Paul Clouet.

Furthermore, Bouzy is packed with quality Champagne houses: Paul Bara and E. Barnaut (sometimes shown as Edmond Barnaut) are absolutely top-notch. Also in the village is Georges Vesselle which is very good (does some good vintage zero dosage). You will also find Andre Clouet, another cracking little house. Their vintage, zero dosage, Blanc de Noirs (100% Pinot Noir) is sublime. I can also recommend Bernard Tornay.

These houses will set you back around 15-18 euros for a bottle of non-vintage, heading up into the low 20's for more special cuvees. Vintages start in the low 20's and head up from there. When we popped into E. Barnaut last month we could have tried every cuvee (and there are quite a few) as well as their Bouzy Rouge and Ratafia, we had to beg them to stop!

Including Bonnaire (courtesy of Paul Clouet of course), that's 7 super little houses without even having to leave the village!

I haven't stayed at Les Barbotines (1 Place Andre Tritant, 51150 Bouz - . www.lesbarbotines.com) because on the last two trips they were already fully booked. They do get very good reviews.

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B, Epernay area

Brilliant, thank you. I'm sure it will be quite easy stumbling from one house to the next. Is it best to contact them to let them know I'm coming?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B, Epernay area

Yes, it's always best to book a tour or tasting in advance. That said, E. Barnaut have a pretty little boutique next to the Champagne house which is also set up for impromptu tastings. Most Champenois will try to accommodate you but a booking just makes it all a little easier.

If you do plump for Bouzy and find that you've run out of houses, the next village on the road to Epernay is Ambonnay. Here you'll find another couple of cracking little houses: Egly-Ouriet and Paul Dethune. Egly-Ouriet in particular is outstanding.

All the best. Feel free to drop me line if you need any further info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B, Epernay area

That's great, thanks. I've tried a lot of Champagnes (my favourite Dom Ruinart Rose) but it's nice to try all the smaller houses. If I google all the houses you mentioned will they each have a web page and email address so I can contact them. The only problem is that many don't speak English. Do you also know any good restaurants in the area?

Do you also know the cost of a taxi from Bouzy to Epernay or Reims?

Thanks

Champagne, France
Level Contributor
291 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B, Epernay area

Hello rogermoore88, I can help you with all your questions. I run a B&B here in Champagne. We've been here most of the last 16 years. Please message me privately. The cost of a taxi from Bouzy to Epernay is going to be around 40 euros.

Hope this helps :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B, Epernay area

Brilliant. Where exactly is your b&b and what is the cost in July/Aug?

Is there a cheaper way of getting from Bouzy to Reims or Epernay?

Also, could you recommend a dozen or so excellent houses in the Bouzy area?

Many thanks

Mark

8. Re: B&B, Epernay area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 December 2011, 16:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B, Epernay area

Thank you. How would I go about sending a private message, can I send you an email?

Mark

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B, Epernay area

rogermoore88

To send a private message (PM) you click on the poster's name - in this case pepperhall. A page appears, to the left of which is a small envelope icon and the words 'send a message'. You click on 'send a message' and then write your message and send it.

Voila

Edited: 26 November 2011, 17:28