We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champagne Region in France

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Champagne Region in France

I am trying to decide between two hotels, Chateau De Fere or Chateau De Courcelles for August. I have never stayed in this region of france and was wanting some input on where to stay.

Both look good on the web sights but who knows? Any ideas out there? Thanks so much

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
864 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Champagne Region in France

It really depends on your reason for visiting the region. The majority of visitors tend to to be interested in Champagne tasting. The two venues you have mentioned both look very nice but are some distance from the main vineyard routes.

If you are interested in Champagne tasting: Chateau d'Etoges, Chateau Crayeres and Royal Champagne are all much closer to the vineyards.

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Champagne Region in France

Thanks so much, both places I listed on their websight said it was in the region but looking closer they are almost there, good to know. Also any sugesstions on which Champane houses are best to visit? Do we need an reservation?

Edited: 12 July 2013, 14:07
Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Champagne Region in France

Thanks so much, both places I listed on their websight said it was in the region but looking closer they are almost there, good to know. Also any sugesstions on which Champane houses are best to visit? Do we need an reservation?

Edited: 12 July 2013, 14:08
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
864 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Champagne Region in France

They are in the Champagne region and of course there are champagne houses spread all over. However, the larger concentration of better houses are between Reims and Épernay, south of Épernay and hugging the north-west outskirts of Reims.

I will have a closer look at where the two hotels are and get back to you with some suggestions. Will you have access to a car?

Feel free to send me a PM to remind me, in case I forget!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Champagne Region in France

The Château de Fere is lovely, with beautiful grounds and a fine restaurant. We enjoyed our stay there very much. The nearby village of Fere en Tardenois is well worth a visit; it has a beautiful old covered market in the center, and in the area you can see windmills.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
864 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Champagne Region in France

Having had a closer look at the map, Fère-en-Tardenois isn't quite as far from the main "Champagne routes" as I first thought - so long as you have access to a car. Courcelles-sur-Vesle is a little further north so a bit farther from where the better houses are located.

I have sent you a private message with some suggestions.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Champagne Region in France

We stayed at Chateau de Courcelles a while back. It is lovely but a little out of the way- very nice for a one night stay. We have also stayed at Crayeres and Royal Champagne; both of those are wonderful. Crayeres is right in the heart of Rheims and the Royale Champagne, which has wnderful views of the vineyards is a short drive into Epernay

jhgrady

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Champagne Region in France

Thank you so much. I'll look into both of those.

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Champagne Region in France

Thanks so much for you wonderful info, we will have a car and will have just spent a week in Paris so so country down time overlooking vinyards might be just perfect.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
864 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Champagne Region in France

Royal Champagne has an excellent outlook above the vineyard slopes of Champillon, and just off the main road that runs between Reims and Epernay, very close to an array of World class champagne producers.