We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Tetbury, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and go in Epernay?

It's a special year for my wife and I next year and we want to go to the Champagne region, stay in a bit of luxury (4 or 5 star) and taste champagne in a variety of houses over a few days. I have no idea where to go and where to stay though.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Consider staying at the Château de Fère en Tardenois, from which you can visit the countryside and makes trips to the various Champagne houses. Get a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Champagne to research places to visit, and don't miss the old market square in Fère itself.

Tetbury, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Looks a gorgeous hotel - thanks. It may be a little far for us to do some tasting and head back each night unless one of us doesn't indulge (and there's a coin flip!).

Thanks again though

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

contact the office of tourism in Epernay (www.ot-epernay.fr)

The website is in English, and the friendly folks at the office speak anywhere from decent to fluent English.

They will be able to help you find a lovely hotel, build a day of tours to the vineyards in the area, and probably even refer you to a driver or two.

Champagne, France
Level Contributor
291 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

The best places to stay in Epernay are

Royal Champagne, on the hill at Champillon overlooking the town

Hotel Jean Moet in the town centre

Villa Eugene at the top of the Avenue de Champagne

http://www.royalchampagne.com/

http://www.hoteljeanmoet.com

http://www.villa-eugene.com/

Happy to help with your plans, just ask :-)

Tetbury, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Great - thanks! I'll defintiely check out both. It's getting exciting now! Planning is always a great part of a holiday, thanks for your contribution to that.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
901 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Chateau Les Crayeres in Reims.

Will you be driving? If so, do you intend driving through the region to some of the Champagne houses?

In Reims, you have a number of the more commercial houses ie. Veuve Clicquot-Ponsardin, Taittinger, Ruinart, Lanson, Pommery, Mumm, Charles de Cazanove. My favourite of these is Ruinart. There is of course Krug who looked after us very well and we're just enthusiasts.

In Epernay you have of course Moet et Chandon as well as Mercier. But for us, the best experiences are to be had in the smaller Grower-Producer houses scattered between Reims and Epernay on the Montagne de Reims or Vallee de la Marne or south of Epernay on the Cote des Blancs. It's a fantastic drive through the vineyards along the Route Touristique du Champagne.

We have just returned from our latest trip and have found some cracking houses that produce excellent quality cuvees from 15-30 euros.

Avoid August as this is holiday month and many of the smaller houses close during the harvest in September (although it came very early in August this year).

If I can be of any help with potential visits etc, please feel free to message me. I'm sure you'll both have a wonderful time, it's great fun exploring the region!

Tetbury, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Brilliant - thanks! Yes we're enthusiasts too (sounds very grand but hey ho). Krug is the dream so any further information on that would be great! It's the driving and drinking bit I'm concerned about which is obvious enough on a basic level. Having read a lot of reviews the smaller vineyards are definitely worth trying, but it appears you need the advantage of driiving and exploring to stumble across these places. Any suggestions on particular house would be great and then I'd organise a taxi or whatever.

Thanks again - excellent post.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Heading to Epernay with my OH in March, staying at Hotel Jean Moet.

My OH's favourite Champers is Pol Roger, which I understood was in the Epernay area, does anyone know more? Do they offer cave tours?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Please read post #3 above.

Champagne, France
Level Contributor
291 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay and go in Epernay?

Hello there,

Pol Roger do not offer cellar tours to the public. But there is a fantastic champagne bar in Epernay called C Comme where you'll find hundreds of champagnes to taste. It's in rue Gambetta.

The Avenue de Champagne is always worth a visit though, and you can stroll up and down taking in the big names and the fabulous mansions.

Have fun :-)