We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Epernay in 4.5 hours

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Epernay in 4.5 hours

Hello,

We have a quick stop in Epernay in late August. We arrive at 11:49am and leave at 4:32pm. Moet Chandon is booked with the exception of a tour that starts at 3:30pm. It's my understanding Moet & Chandon is pretty close to the train station, but I also know the tour is "suppose" to last 1 hour. Would it be possible to take a tour starting at 3:30pm and leave the tour at 4:15pm? Or do they seclude you in a way where you can't leave until the tour is over? Of course the agent at Moet Chandon said there is not enough time and we can't leave the tour so I'm beginning to accept that a visit to the cellar may not be possible. Is it possible to just visit the tasting room at Moet & Chandon?

I see Mercier is another popular cellar to visit and no reservations are required (I think?). Are there any other recommendations of cellars that can be seen during a short visit to Epernay?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
740 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

You can try to call Moët Chandon to reschedule. We made reservation but could not make as two of our group arrived later than the start time. They assisted us to change without problem.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

Mercier is "walk-in" but you will need to wait for the next available slot. And you cannot leave mid-way as you as the tour takes place on a train in the cellars.

Mercier are closed between 11.30 and 2pm for lunch.

http://www.champagnemagic.com/cellarvisit.htm

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
905 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

If you are interested in a very good grower-producer there is one on the Avenue de Champagne at a newly opened boutique where you can taste. No cellars at the location as they are based in one of the villages: Collard-Picard.

If you are not too worried about visiting cellars, it is also possible to taste at Paul Etienne Saint-Germain a little further up the road.There is also Boizel, Esterlin and near Mercier a full tour is available at De Castellane.

It will be a little problematic to cut short your tour at Moët et Chandon unless you pay extra for a private tour which will be more bespoke.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

We did the Moet tour last year. As they take you down into the maze of cellars, you cannot leave during the tour. The tasting is, of course, at the end and you can leave from that when you are finished. You can taste just one champagne or pay more for the tour and taste more than one. Not sure if you can just taste, but for us the tour was the main reason for doing it. You could not do a 3.30 tour and make a 4.30 train. I cannot remember exactly how long the tour took as we were not watching the clock, but as people ask questions etc, times are variable.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
905 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

Further to the above info, Moët et Chandon is around a 10-15 minute walk from the railway station.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

Are any of the cellars in Epernay opened during "lunch" from 12h - 14h? Looks like we will really only have 2 hours in Epernay as everything will be closed the first 2 hours we are there. Guess I should have done better research before routing the trip, but it's too late now. Thanks for all the info.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
905 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

I think you may struggle during the lunch hours. The only thing I can suggest you do is contact some of the houses mentioned to see if they are able to accept you during these times.

However, what you could do is got to the Champagne tasting bars/shops such as C.Comme, Fines Bulles or Restaurant La Banque.

Bon chance!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Re: Epernay in 4.5 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:17