We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Epernay itinerary review:

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
894 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Epernay itinerary review:

As we are on the last leg of planning our upcoming trip to France, I decided to post for any recent feedback during our short time in Epernay. We have two nights here booked. Oct. 14th and 15th.

Arrive in Epernay early afternoon Monday, October 14th and visit some champagne houses along the Avenue. I haven't contacted all of them yet as to hours, but are hoping we can get into a few Monday afternoon. I do have a longer list of more if these aren't available, but won't put them in this question.

Moet, but sill have to finalize a time for a reservation, Castellane , Mercier, Boizel , Collard-Picard or Alfred Gratien

Tuesday October 15, leave in the morning and drive through some small villages around Epernay. Here's a tentative drive I found from others who have posted. Hopefully the routes and signs will be well marked, but we'll have a map with us if not. I do also have some restaurants in some of these, so hopefully can stop for a lunch or dinner along the drive before heading back to Epernay.

Cumieres, Dizy, Ay, Mutigny , Avernay ,Val D'or, Bouzy, Ambonnay .

I had one more, I'd read about somewhere, but can't seem to map it in this area, so possibly I have the wrong name, but it was the little village of Haut Villiers - the home of Dom Perignon

Thanks in advance for any added suggestions. I have been having difficulty on the Epernay's tourism website finding out hours of operations for different places, so am still researching to find these before we go.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,883 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

This might help

maisons-champagne.com/liste_maisons/visites_…

If you click on the "bottle caps" = "plaques de musler" they will take you to the website of the relevent Champagne House, and you can book with them direct.

2 Caves tours should be enough, they get same-y after that!

Member PsychoWarthog has extensive knowledge of the area and can tell you some bars and shops you can visit in Epernay just for tastings.

There are some good restaurants there too, so a leisurely lunch and dinner should be on your list!

If you plan a driving tour of "outlying" producers and Houses, then be aware that the drink/drive alcohol limit in France is very low....

Essex
Level Contributor
28,883 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

Here is another good website, with lots of useful information:

http://www.champagnediscovery.com/

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

The other village you mentioned is Hautvillers which is on the Montagne de Reims.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

Unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure that Alfred Gratien are not open to the public.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
894 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

Thanks, that probably won't fit into our drive then. Appreciate the tip.

Regarding Alfred Gratien, here's an e-mail I thought was from them, so will have to "google translate" it to be sure of what they said. But thanks for that tip as well.

Bonjour,

Pour faire suite à votre mail, nous pourrons vous recevoir le mardi 15 octobre à 10h30.

Merci de bien vouloir nous confirmer le rendez-vous.

Cordialement

Delphine JAEGER

djaeger@alfredgratien.com

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

Perhaps things have changed!

They look forward to welcoming you on Tuesday 15th October at 10:30am.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

Perhaps things have changed!

They look forward to welcoming you on Tuesday 15th October at 10:30am.

They would like you to confirm by email.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
894 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

Thanks, you beat me to the translate. I will definitely respond. Appreciate it.

Linden, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

I am living in Germany and am going to Reims/Epernay for the 1st time next weekend as well... If you are driving...rent a GPS, driving in Europe without one is a nightmare! Often the streets aren't labeled! Plus if you have an American map, the French names for things may be different... I heard the Moet Chandon cellars are excellent in Epernay, you can book tours on line. In the town of Reims I am told the Notre Dame cathedral is more impressive then the one in Paris and even rivals Westminster...The royals of France were apparently crowned there for 1000 years .I was advised to go to the tourism office across the street from the Notre Dame and to rent a hand held audio tour to take inside ( apparently not available in Notre Dame)... Reims is a bigger town, rather than a small village, about 30K from Epernay. Also has a "champagne road" and many cellars/caves...

Have fun!

OH...there is a semi new law in France that you have to have 2 breathalyzer testers in your car with you, so if the police pull you over they can use them to test your levels...However, they are having problems keeping them in stock in the stores, so currently you aren't supposed to be fined if you don't have them. France is also big into speed cameras...they are every 20K or so on the "interstates" between Germany and Paris. Don't speed! If you get pulled over, make sure the "speed camera notification" on your GPS is off, as its illegal to use a speed camera detector in France too...

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
894 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Epernay itinerary review:

Thanks for the tips. I think we'll book one tour of a champagne house . A glass or two of champagne during the day will be all that we could handle but are looking forward to seeing the villages along the drive, enjoying the scenery as well as doing some walking in Epernay.