We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Champagne

Watchfield
1 post
Save Topic
Buying Champagne

I am off to Champagne for a couple of days next week and would like to buy a few cases. I would rather buy from one of the smaller houses as the quality will be similar but the price considerably lower. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Blackburn England
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Champagne

There are a couple I can recommend if you head out to Avize :

This one has great cellars under the village and is excellent value and I can certainly recommend the quality:

http://www.champagnepetitlebrunetfils.com/

This is just round the corner in the village and is just a large private house.

She is English and their champagne is highly regarded in England. We have stayed with them and can again recommend.

www.wineweb.com/scripts/winerypg.cfm?w=30741

Worth a phone call to both before going.

Have a great trip

Neal

Brussels
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Champagne

We just came back from Avize and it was a ghost town...I rec. going to GH Martell in Reims. They have a Casanova champagne that is on special for 81 euros for a case (13.50 a bottle). It is really nice champagne and we picked up a case for us as well. Can't beat it!

Van Buren, Arkansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Champagne

Can you ship champagne to the states? - To any state in the US?

Thanks -

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Champagne

Head to Hautvilliers outside Epernay - look for Gobbillard a modern house on the right as you drive up to the village. Excellent value for money.

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Champagne

That is good to know about Gobbilard. We are going to be there in another three weeks and had planned on visiting Hautvillers and stopping at Gobbilard.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,283 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Champagne

We went to a cellar that was in effect a growers cooperative in Epernay. They had many growers to choose from though you do have to pay for tasting. I liked that they had information about the rules and regulations about first growths and premier crus and so on as well as the grape types, so we were able to buy different blends of grape types to compare the tastes. I am sorry that I do not have the name and address. It may lack the ambience of a growers cave though it had a very attractive cellar tasting room, but it gave fantastic choice and a large range of prices.

You could do worse than look at the tourism board's website from Epernay

www.ot-epernay.fr/-Welcome-

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Champagne

For some very good Grand Cru champagnes, try Michel Henriet, at 12 rue de Paradis in Verzenay. They do a very good cuvee tradition, Blanc et Blanc and Chardonnay. Naturally a degustation is part of the buying process. We have been buying our champagne there for many years and friends in England compliment us on the Michel Henriet champagnes.

Well worth the detour.

8. Re: Buying Champagne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 23:18