We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling from Reims to the Champagne Houses

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling from Reims to the Champagne Houses

Hi, myself & four friends are staying in Reims in September.

We would like to hire bikes & then go out each day to different Champagne Houses. Our questions are:

How easy is it to rent bikes ?

Where can I get a map to show the Champagne Houses so we can plan some routes/check milage ?

I am told that it is necessary to pre-book at the Champagne houses - is this correct ?

Which ones would people recommend ?

Anything else we havent considered ?

Thanks for any help,

Sue

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling from Reims to the Champagne Houses

If you google "location de velo reims" (which means "bike rental reims") you'll get some hits, such as this:

http://loca-velo-reims-51.e-monsite.com/

For that area you might also look at this site forbike rentals:

freewheelingfrance.com/bike-hire-in-france/b…

You might want to check to make sure that the place you are renting your bikes from has decent quality bikes suitable for touring and not just your basic 3 or 7 speed city bikes. It may be worth it to find a place outside of Reims that will deliver to you if you can't find good quality bikes in Reims itself.

Get yourself a map of that area for cycling and I'll recommend you buy Michelin map "#306 Aisne, Ardennes, Marne".

Instead of cycling out of Reims you might put your bikes on a train to get away from the urban congestion around Reims so you can start your ride direct in the countryside. This next link will show you a map of where trains go in that region:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Carte_Flash.aspx

You can use the same website to search train schedules and prices.

Unless you have specific houses you want to visit then you don't need to reserve. There are loads of champagne houses in the area and sometimes even the smallest village can have 4 or 5 houses. Look for signs that say "dégustation" and that means they're open for tasting. Quite often the champagne house is just someone's own home and I'm not shy about just walking up and knocking on a random door. Sometimes they may be available for a tasting and other times not. Keep in mind that it is good etiquette to buy a bottle or three at any houses where you do a tasting. This is especially true of the smaller producers. Certainly not all towns have champagne houses but those on the champagne routes usually do.

The regionall tourist office website is an excellent resource and it has maps of the champagne trail. I'll give you the link:

http://www.tourisme-champagne-ardenne.com/

The Champagne trails (click on the links for maps):

tourisme-champagne-ardenne.com/champagne/rou…

Although the above website has an English version you'll find that the French version is more complete. The English version doesn't have that maps of the champagne trails but you'll still find lots of useful info on the English version. Stop at the tourist office in Reims and they'll have plenty of maps, brochures and other info for you.

I've cycled part of a champagne trail along the Marne river and wrote a photo report about my trip. Although you may not make it to that area it will give you an idea of what kinds of houses you'll encounter in the villages. Here is the link to my report if you want to have a look: http://tinyurl.com/oow242c

Another excellent champagne resource is this website:

champagnediscovery.com/#/…4570208608

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling from Reims to the Champagne Houses

Thank you so much for providing such useful & detailed information. I really appreciate it.

Sue

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling from Reims to the Champagne Houses

Have fun. :) Oh, and if you would come back to this thread after your visit and post about your experience it would be helpful to others.

4. Re: Cycling from Reims to the Champagne Houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:16