We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with next year's hol

w62
London
Level Contributor
838 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Help with next year's hol

I have managed to persuade a group of friends to visit the beloved island next summer and am now having real problems trying to find a villa for 12 people - 6 bedrooms (with private pool). We have found a couple but one was way too expensive (7000e per week!) and the other is near Tizzano. Whilst I don't mind where I go in Corsica my heart really belongs in La Balagne and I feel it will be a great pity if my friends don't get to see Calvi or the surrounding areas. However, beggars can't be choosers so it looks like Corse Sud is where we will end up.

However, does anyone know what Tizzano is like? Is it worth going there or is it so remote that I would be better off forgetting Corsica and going elsewhere?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with next year's hol

Hi w62, sorry don't know Tizzano but it does look a bit remote on the map. We drove from Bonifacio to Sartene last October, stopping at Roccapina beach on the way, it is a pretty area scenery wise but not much there. The Rough Guide to Corsica's entry on Tizzano isn't exactly glowing either.

There were lots of villas on www.abritel.fr but I assume you checked their website, perhaps there aren't many 6 bedroomed properties about ? Hope you manage to find something suitable, best wishes, White Family

London, United...
Level Contributor
887 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with next year's hol

We visited Tizzano in May this year. The village itself is charming, a beautiful spot for lunc, hbut not more than a handful of old houses, a couple of good restaurants, and villas (maybe including yours?) dotted round the bay beyond. Much frequented by rich folk, with a tiny harbour and beach. I expect a good few more coves to be found on foot beyond (a boat might be handy). .

Before you get to the village there is a nice, if windswept, beach with dunes behind and some rather tacky development alongside. Hardly any parking - I imagine it's chaos in the summer. In May it had a rather forlorn out of season feeling.

The village and beach are down the end of a long road through lush (in May) woodland and fields, going past some good Neolithic remains at ? Cauro - we walked down to the site to take a look. Beautiful scenery, peaceful setting, magic lowland Corsican atmosphere (no real mountains round here but plenty of rocks and maquis).

There's not a huge amount to do down there - you'd need to go to Propriano or Sartene for any action. But as a base to explore the South, it should be ok.

Or, you could go for a villa on the coast north of Propriano which would be a bit less isolated. I had the impression there were loads up there.

Or how about this? directcorsica.com/owners/Altiani/Altiani.htm It's a bedroom short but maybe you can negotiate?

I can't believe that there aren't large villas available in the Balagne for less than E7000 ...in fact there seem to be some others on that particular site, too.

Good luck in your hunt!!

w62
London
Level Contributor
838 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with next year's hol

Many thanks for your responses. The problem we have is that, because there are children in the party, we have to go in August and that is what is pushing the cost up. I had my reservations about Tizzano and I think you have helped me rule it out. It did look rather 'Uncorsican' if you know what I mean - especially when one is used to La Balagne.

I will check out both sites and let you know how we get on.

Thanks again

Tanya

4. Re: Help with next year's hol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Corsica