We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

Hi

I wondered if our experience of Hertz car hire in Corsica was typical or not.

Before we arrived in Corsica my husband got several quotes for a week's car hire and Hertz turned out to be the cheapest at about £120. We decided to go for this and pre-paid the cost and printed out a record of our booking.

When we arrived at the Hertz desk at Bastia airport the queue was ridiculously long and we had to wait for ages to be seen. We thought it would be a simple matter of handing in our documents and collecting a car, but the rep told us there was an additional 6 euros per day "local tax" to pay. We were quite shocked at this as we'd based our decision on the quote we'd been given and as far as we were concerned (and the paperwork even said so) there was nothing more to pay. But the rep insisted and reluctantly we had to pay an additional 42Euros for our car hire. If we had compared on that basis Hertz certainly would not have come out best.

We asked the rep if this was a Corsican thing or just Hertz and she said she didn't know.

So what's the story?

Is it just Hertz that plays this con? We will certainly avoid using Hertz again - even if it is some compulsory externally imposed local tax it should have been included in the quote.

R

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
693 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

I think its similar with lots of car hire firms, they dont always include ALL costs in the quote. same thing happened to us in Nice... but sometimes it really difficult to see if everything is included

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

Hi Asha

We are used to having to pay extra if we want Collision Damage Waiver or an additional driver etc but when we wanted nothing but the car and had paperwork to say we'd paid everything up front we were rather taken aback to be told we were obliged to pay more. We travel a lot and we're used to hiring cars but this has never happened to us before.

When you had the same problem in Nice was it with Hertz? I was hoping to find out whether this practice was a Hertz trick (and so warn others about it). I can't really believe that there is a local Corsican tax for car hire.

Rogzog

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

I don't know about the tax and I think perhaps you should take this further with Customer Services, or whatever, at Hertz. If you do, please post the result.

I certainly have waited a very long time in car hire queues in Corsica and have been treated with indifference verging on rudeness. On one occasion some Americans tried to tell the clerk they were members of an special express service club for that car hire company, but it didn't do them any good.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

There is indeed in Corsica a special tax of €6 per day called "taxe touristique" which applies to car-hire.

IMO Hertz should include it in its quotes instead of indicating that they do not include "local taxes".

Other companies do ....

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

Thanks for the clarification.

Aha so there is a tourist car hire tax. Why? I wonder. I'm sorry to say that we came across too many experiences in Corsica where tourists seemed to be regarded as an ideal opportunity to make extra money rather than regular customers to serve.

Like you though I don't think the presence of a local tourist tax excuses Hertz from having included it in their quote (or excuses the attitude of the rep at the counter when we tried to make our case - apparently we should have known about the tax - ie it was obviously our fault that we hadn't been told).

We did take it up with Hertz online and they said they would refund us the additional cost but as yet they still have not done so.

R

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

"Aha so there is a tourist car hire tax. Why?"

Without entering into the details of fiscal policy and taxes in Corsica vs the mainland, there are a few differences due to the "special status" of the island.

7. Re: Trouble with Hertz in Corsica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 05:20