We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire Car Insurance

Warwick
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hire Car Insurance

We have book 2 weeks with car through Simply Travel (Thomsons).The car includes basic CDW and insurance. Do you know the cost (daily-weekly) to upgrade to Super CDW &Theft Waiver coverage?

As our accomadation is discribed 15 kms on track from main road, it might be worth upgradeing to cover the unexpected.

Does anyone know what condition the roadis like to Tizzano in the South West.

Thanks in advance.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire Car Insurance

To be on the safe side I would contact Simply Travel on this - when you collect the car you will have to sign forms, give a credit card guarantee etc. and if the car is damaged, the hire company will deduct the excess from your card. Your "contract" is with Simply Travel so its worth taking their advice and topping up the insurance.

I don't know Tizzano or the state of the road there but to reach some beaches you have to go down a rutted track and some hire car insurance does not cover damage caused going off road, ie damage to the underside of the car. So its worth checking on that too.

Unfortunately there are a few horror stories about on car hire so do a thorough check on the vehicle before you drive off, get the scratches and dents recorded, check the spare wheel is still in place so you don't get charged at the end if it is missing, etc.

Our hire car at Bastia airport a few weeks back was dented back and front with scratches galore (end of season state) so when we pointed this out, the grumpy man at Hertz flew into a temper and marked on the documents in heavy ink that all panels on the vehicle were damaged ! Very over the top from him but it was the result we needed.

Hopefully all will go without a hitch but it is worth spending a bit of time getting the car hire right.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire Car Insurance

If we were to purchase all the insurances & waivers available from a hire car company, would we be fully covered against all circumstances?

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire Car Insurance

might be worth looking into buying an annual policy that would completely cover you. Well worth it, for European cover it costs £49 and covers everything. I always have it as it gives me a piece of mind. Try Insurance for Car Hire.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire Car Insurance

Thanks for a great suggestion. I must admit, I never heard of this insurance before but it sounds like a really good idea!! Do I understand correctly, that if we were to buy this particular insurance, we wouldn't need to purchase the hire companies own ins (appart from the basic) & still be fully covered? & what about the excess etc...

Also, would it actually work out cheaper doing it this way if we only hire cars once or twice a year?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire Car Insurance

Try www.insurance4carhire.com and see how the annual policy rates come up - there may well be other companies who offer this service, perhaps others can advise.

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire Car Insurance

especially if you rent a car twice a year, it is worth it. I think it is £49 for the European cover (annual) and that covers everything even windows (which often aren't included in the other policies).

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire Car Insurance

Thank you both for the information. If the hire car works out, I'll definitely look into getting this insurance.

Sapper696, hope it all goes well for you. Have a lovely holiday!

Warwick
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire Car Insurance

Thanks for advice all

Warwick
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire Car Insurance

Thanks for advice all

10. Re: Hire Car Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 05:19