We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving

Hi

what is it like to drive in Corsica, ie is it like Sardina or malta or is it fast and scary with narrow roads?

Thanks in advance for any input

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

It is virtually impossible to drive fast in Corsica because the roads are mountainous, narrow and very windy. Count on an average speed of 40kph.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

It's absolutely nothing like driving in Malta - they drive on the left there and the island is relatively flat.

There are a few good roads on Corsica where a relatively high average speed is possible, notably the straight road down the east side of the islands and stretches of other "N" class roads, but away from these fast driving is impossible. Many roads are narrow and winding, often with hair pin bends and dizzying unfenced drops at the side of the roads. Additional haxards are potholes, animals in the roadways, and the Corsican drivers. Just drive slowly and enjoy the wonderful scenery!

London, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving

It's like Sardinia without the dual carriageways and the good SS and SP roads; the best roads in Corsica are like the secondary SP roads in Sardinia. The rest, as others have said, are narrow, windy and pot-holed, often lacking barriers. Most are tarmac, though.

Also, the East coast road is not that fast, because it is heavily trafficked and there are lots of villages with a 50k speed limit . The road through the middle from Aleria on the east coast to Corte to Ponte Leccia to Calvi is quicker, despite more bends.

London, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving

I forgot to add another factor - drivers in Corsica are much scarier than in Sardinia - overtaking in crazy places, no doubt due to frustration at the lack of dual carriageways! Have just been driving in Sardinia and was surprised at the calm of the driving style compared with Corsica.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving

And don't forget the signage--road signs in Corsica are in French and Corsu, and frequently the French is spray painted out.

Didn't bother us much, as they didn't fool with the numbers on the roads, and we knew that as long as the sea was on our right we were going in the right direction!

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving

Either you were going north along the east coast

or you were going south along the west coast.

The latter is where I first drove "on the continent."

Calvi to Porto in early August.

Even had it been mid-December, I swear I would still have had my clothes soaked in sweat.

The second scariest drive in my life. Many years ago.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving

Which drive was scarier?

London, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving

The West coast Calvi-Porto road is much improved now. I wouldn't say it was scary any more, just stunningly beautiful - windy, slow, and tiring to drive, but not scary.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving

Calvi - Porto is OK unless you meet a coach or motorhome on one of the very narrow bits just before Porto and have to reverse - not much fun. Or an oncoming local driving at speed, which somehow they manage to do. However the scenery is a must in comparison to the east coast.

My vote for the scariest drive is still Porto inland towards Corte, vertical drops on the side of the road, mad drivers and wild boar everywhere.

Sardinia is very easy to drive around, no comparison with Corsica. They have a lowish speed limit which surprisingly people seem to adhere to and the locals' driving is much less fast & furious than on Corsica.

10. Re: Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 05:15