We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Visit

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
964 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
First time Visit

Starting to plan my first visit.

Will be flying into Ajaccio, and planning to stay in the Campo area.

Am looking to the experts to advise a few day trips by hire car to see the best of the island.

Please also could you quote approximate distances for each trip.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Visit

Not sure where you mean to be based. Campo itself is a small hamlet in the mountains, Campomoro is a small resort south east of Propriano and Campo dell'oro is where Ajaccio airport is situated. Are there others? Which one are you planning to stay at?

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
964 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Visit

Thinking of Chatelet De Campo, which I assume is in the small hamlet.

Would you advise this?

Places to visit by car from here, don't want too long journeys?

middle england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Visit

Well it's an interesting choice, but I'm not sure it's right for a first timer. There's no doubt it's a lovely area, but the roads are very slowgoing, being narrow with many bends. It's also a fair way away from a decent beach. The hotel is small and quite expensive, and has a pool, but there's little else in the village. The nearest beach is probably Porticcio just south of Ajaccio. I wouldn't want to discourage you fromm going here, but you might like to consider ann area more suited for tourists such as Calvi/L'ile Rousse or Porto Vecchio. Remember also that mid July to the end of August is peak season, crowded in places and high hotel prices. If you do go to Campo, there is a great half day trip to the Prunelli Gorges, and a full day tour of the area around Campo known as Haute Tavaro, taking in Zevaco, Zicavo, Aullene and Petreto-Biccishano. Both are circular tours. It's also rewarding to get in the car and just explore, but make sure you have a good map.Be aware that many of the roads in the area are not suitable for the faint-hearted or those with a fear of heights, but they are geat fun nevertheless.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
964 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Visit

Could/would you reccomend a map?

middle england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Visit

I always use Michelin maps.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,781 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Visit

I recommend getting a map specific to the area you will be in in addition to a map of the whole island.

If your plans aren't set in stone, you might try looking here...

travelzest.com/en/…Corsica-holidays

7. Re: First time Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 19:18