We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

I am diligently researching away for my upcoming trip. In addition to my online and book research, I thought I would ask for opinions here. I am trying to decide in which city to base myself. I will have 5 days. No car (I realize a car is highly recommended). At the point I get to Corsica, I will have been on the road for about 20 days, jam packed with hiking and site-seeing and cultural activites so I really just want to find a spot with a nice sandy beach, some shops, bars, restaurants and where I can just chill out! I will be arriving in early September...maybe Sept 5 or 6.

Thanks.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

I'm a little puzzled. If all you want is a good beach and some other facilities, why are you going to Corsica at all - why not stay in the South of France or Italy?

Anyhow, it depends where you are entering Corsica - if Bastia for example, you could choose a place like Moriani Plage, which is only a short journey and there is reasonable public transport, and there are shops, bars etc, and a very good beach, although for those with cars it would probably be low down on the list.

London, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

Or you could try Calvi, Ile Rousse or Algajola (the last rather quieter, lacking in shops) all of which have good beaches and are on the train line, meaning that not having a car matters less, though the trains don't run in the evening.

Corsica, France
Level Contributor
87 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

Hi there

I agree with the first comment, Corsica is great for beach relaxation but some mainland destinations might offer what you expect with an easier travel and at a lesser cost.

Still, there are fabulous beaches to enjoy in Corsica. if you are looking for a hotel right on the sea and a no effort holiday, and if you have the budget, then the following locations are, I think, the best:

- if you come in via Bastia, Calvi or St Florent are likely to be the places where you'll find hotels right on the coast with a direct beach access. La Signoria in Calvi is one of the popular luxury ones I know of

- if you arrive in Ajaccio, then the "route des Sanguinaires" near Ajaccio has some well located hotels, notably the "Les calanques", Stella Di Mare. Also "Les Mouettes" inside Ajaccio (so the beach is not so great but nice hotel) and the usual "Sofitel" located not far from the airport in Porticcio. Top luxury will be also in Porticcio at "Le Maquis"

If you want to know where the nicest beaches are around the island, you can check:

corsicaexperience.com/places/…

Enjoy and I hope you will still get to discover a bit of the inland side becase it is really worth the effort.

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

Hey ocbeachgirl, you will definitely find great quiet sandy beaches in Corsica where relaxation is guaranteed (especially early sept which is in my view the best time to visit) - all places mentionned above are fine.

This being said, your main issue will be transportation, Corsica is great because it is wild, this also means that beaches are somehow remote (if you prefer beaches with restaurants, next to highways and 60 level building then Spain is maybe more appropriate) - this means that it is almost impossible to combine the beach experience with the comfort of shops bars and restaurants without a car. Now, you still have options which in my mind are (i) the luxury hotel on the beach with transportations services included: www.hotel-calarossa.com for instance or (ii) the backpacker option of a camping site on the beach with a small 50CC (no licence) scooter that you would rent: http://www.camping-desiles.com/ as an example.

And more importantly...welcome to Corsica and enjoy your holidays!!!

VillaFanny - PortoVecchio

Bristol England
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

Hi there

If you are without a car your destinations will be limited by where the public transport system takes you an dthat is often only twice a day - see www. corsicabus.com for timetables

Having said that it will get you to plenty of locations

We backpacked around Corsica last year for 2 weeks and were able to easily access Calvi and the many smaller resorts along that coast by train , Porto Vecchia and Bonificio by bus and as someone as mentioned Moriani Plage but there is not a lot to do there

If you look on our profile I have listed where we stayed and how we got around as there are some great places to go and some great campsites

Enjoy

Steve

6. Re: Who's already been? Need advice on choosing where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 06:22