We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
Save Topic
Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

Hey everyone,

I'm really wrestling with which town to choose for a flat rental for a week.

We'll be flying into Ajaccio - so basically the middle of the island - and I figure we can decide from there.

I've heard great things about Calvi, but I've also heard great things about Porto Vecchio. ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

We'll have a rental car, and some days on the beach would be nice, but so would some night life and a good jumping off point for some day trips.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

MMS

Mentioned in this post
Ajaccio
Ajaccio
Corsica, France
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Porto-Vecchio
Porto-Vecchio
Corsica, France
Les Calanche Cliffs
Points of Interest & Landmarks
D81
Scenic Drives, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Plateau de Coscione
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

The driving time from Ajaccio airport to Porto Vecchio is ca. 3.2 H and to Calvi 2.5 H.

If you are considering the Calvi or Porto Vecchio areas you might therefore consider changing your flight to Bastia airport which is at least one hour less driving away from any of the two towns. If you choose Porto Vecchio you could also consider flying into Figari which is only 40 min. away.

You will find what you are looking for regardless of whether you choose Calvi or PortoVecchio. Both places are absolutely fabulous.

If you want to combine a stay in a lively town with walking distance to a nice beach both Calvi and Ile Rousse will give you just that. If you can compromise on night life Algajola would be a great third option in the Balagne region. The Porto Vecchio is indeed a lively town and the surrounding area is even more famous for beautiful beaches, but these are not in the immediate vicinity of the town.

For trips and things to do in the Balagne area (Calvi) you may get some inspiration from my list of favourite things to do: algajola.dk/Trips%20from%20Algajola-2011.pdf

I wish you a wonderful honeymoon.

Kind regards

Trine (www.algajola.dk)

Mentioned in this post
Ajaccio
Ajaccio
Corsica, France
Porto-Vecchio
Porto-Vecchio
Corsica, France
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Bastia
Bastia
Corsica, France
Figari
Figari
Corsica, France
Ile Rousse
Ile Rousse
Corsica, France
Algajola
Algajola
Corsica, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

Hi CaptainSmoof,

It all depends on the time of the year that you have in mind - and then it will be down to budget - if you have inputs on that front it will be easier to help you.

Enjoy Corsica

VillaFanny

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

I have to say it's a great pity ( and I'm guilty of it myself) that advice is often limited to the Calvi and Porto Vecchio areas. There are countless other places in Corsica where you will have a great time. If you are flying into Ajaccio, you could consdier Cargese, which is a lovely little town very close to Les Calanques, and the area around Propriano, from :Porto Pollo to Campomoro.

Mentioned in this post
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Porto-Vecchio
Porto-Vecchio
Corsica, France
Corsica
Corsica
France
Ajaccio
Ajaccio
Corsica, France
Cargese
Cargese
Corsica, France
Propriano
Propriano
Corsica, France
Porto Pollo
Porto Pollo
390 Reviews
Sardinia, Italy
Campomoro Beach
Campomoro Beach
104 Reviews
Corsica, France
Corsica, France
Level Contributor
87 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

A honeymoon's place is a couple's lifestyle choice! You could be loving it in the heights of the Alta Rocca or feel like king and queen on the private beach of a 5-star in Calvi... the beach is so close to the shore that you also could still enjoy some beach time while staying further in the mountains. I agree with Aardvaark, PV and Calvi are definitely great but systematically recommended while there are so many great spots around... if you want to make up your own mind: corsicaexperience.com/places/…

Have a great honeymoon...

JF

Mentioned in this post
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

If you stay in Calvi try to leave from the airport there. The driving on Corsica can be tiring. We flew into Ajaccio too but had headed north during our week there, ending up in Calvi (which I loved). By the time it came to leave we didn't want the 2.5 hour drive back to Ajaccio so we were lucky and changed our flight at the last minute to leave from Calvi and avoided the drive.

Mentioned in this post
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Corsica
Corsica
France
Ajaccio
Ajaccio
Corsica, France
6. Re: Which town for a Honeymoon!?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:42