We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm off on Sunday!

w62
London
Level Contributor
808 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
I'm off on Sunday!

I can't wait. The day has nearly arrived. Anyone else going soon? I have waited so lomg to return, I don't think I will actually believe it until I am there.

Thanks to all (especially White family/Aardvaark and Derekthered) for all the tips and advice.)

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
550 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

Lucky bugger. Some of us have to wait until the middle of the month. What's worse I get to see the remainder of the family shoot off to Berlin, Paris, Romania and Skegness before I get my turn!

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
550 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

er, that should be middle of next month.

w62
London
Level Contributor
808 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

Just think though, I'll be back and depressed and you will just be about to go. Now I'm jealous of you!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

Best of luck - have a great time, and let us know how you got on when you return.

Interesting that Geoff mentions Skegness. Of course it's second home for many Nottinghamians and there is a similarity to parts of Corsica - it has a beach!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

Don't know Skegness - am I missing anything ?

Happy holidays w62, will be interested in your observations of Calvi - when did you last go there ? The A Merula apartments website looked good - let us know what you thought of them.

We're not going to Corsica until the 1st week of October (family wedding mucked up original flights booked for September) so will see a quiet Calvi I think. Have booked the Caravelle hotel so if you get that way, let me know what you think - unless its really bad !! Hopefully not. Then we go down to Bonifacio staying at the Roy d'Aragon hotel in the port, if you get down that way see what you think.

Bonnes vacances !

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
550 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

Skegness? The pearl of the North Sea. SHimmering, spotless sands at which the crystal clear blue waters lap to the tune of locals performing exotic dances. Splendid promenades bursting with the fine cuisine of the area.

Or - scabby and grey sea, reflecting the scudding grey skies, set at around a half a mile out across a patch of sandy mud. The locals will be in and out of some fairly suspect nightclubs and the only local cuisine are the endless rows of chippies.

w62
London
Level Contributor
808 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

I will definitely post a review when I get back. I was last there in 1997 so I'm hoping not too much has changed. Will check out the Caravelle- it used to be a lovely wee place and I'm sure it still is. I will also give a review of A Merula apts as a few people have been asking about those. I will also look for a few old faces - I have some friends who own a couple of restaurants and bars and I am going to have a nose to see if they are still there. But I am not sure I will be able to pluck up the courage to actually say hello after all this time - especially embarrassing if they stare at me blankly and say "who did you say you are?" Anyway, heading to Santa Maria restaurant for dinner on Sunday evening as I see from reviews that it is still highly rated. I am particularly looking forward to visiting Bonifato Forest - one of my favourite places to relax.

Can you tell that I am a little over-excited?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

Just a bit .........

Well its nearly 10 years since you were last in Calvi so may be one or two changes. Not many hopefully.

Have been looking into visiting Gozo (off Malta) next year, very sleepy place when we last went 20 years ago, have learnt from tripadvisor forum that there is a McDonalds on Gozo now ! Unbelievable really. Corsica has done well to escape relatively intact over the past 40 years or so of mass tourism.

w62
London
Level Contributor
808 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

NOOOOO......no McDonalds perlease! What a shame, I have heard great things about Gozo too.

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
550 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm off on Sunday!

They're getting closer. The nearest McDonalds is Sassari on Sardinia. There's one in Alghero as well.

I'm just surprised there aren't branches in Ajaccio and Bastia!