We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

Chigwell, England
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

I was thinking of doing a 'Highlights of Corsica' holiday next year with Diamond Rail Holidays, but I can't find any reviews of that company. Has anyone done one of their rail holidays? Were they well organised? Although their 2014 brochure's out, the Corsica hotels are listed by name, followed by 'or similar' and on the website under hotel name it gives a link to a blank page. I emailed them and the reply was that they don't know yet which hotels they'll be using. That doesn't sound very promising/professional.

Would welcome any comments from personal experience. (Not from Diamond Rail staff, thanks.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

I didn't look at the tour you are interested in, but the trains on Corsica only cover a few destinations and there is no way that you could come close to seeing the whole island by train.

The limited train routes are "interesting" but there is a reason that the trains are called U Trinighellu.....the "trembler." A few minutes on one will rattle the teeth right out of your head.

London UK
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

Oct 23 2013

I am one of a group of 50 people who did this Oct 4 to 13 2013. We have many complaints, and are writing long letters to Diamond. The most serious is that we were told that we could not take two of the three journeys by rail, as the track was under repair. This was not so. We fell for the trick the first time, but not the second, and after some argument, boarded the train from Corte to Ajaccio. We await explanations from Diamond

John Crooks

xjecrooks@aol.com

Chigwell, England
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

That doesn't sound very good, John. I'm guessing you ended up doing them by coach? If so, Diamond's not for me. My main reason for doing rail holidays is that I get travel-sick on coaches.

London UK
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

Oct 23 2013

Yes, we went on the coach from Calvi to Corte, and would have gone on the coach from Corte to Ajaccio but we had found out at Corte station the trains were running, so we insisted on taking the train

John

BonideC
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

This is hearsay so take it as such, but it is very heartfelt. A friend who has just returned explained to me why she is complaining. They were told that they must be able to lift cases onto and off trains and buses, Fine. But the bus stopped a fair distance from hotels; they dragged their cases there only to be told they must take them back to the coach because it was too early for check-in. There was at least one hotel without a lift, so elderly people had to heave suitcases up several flights of stairs. One hotel was changed but they only found out at the last minute. Some problems seem to have come from inadequate planning, resulting on occasion in attempts to to book for 50 people on the hop. This is rarely feasible.

London UK
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

This is not hearsay. I was there, and it as you say.

I ave made a formal complaint to the Advertings Standards Authority stating that the advert promised three rail journeys. The advert was misleading, as we did not get these. One we had without fuss, one we did not have, and one we only had after we had made a fuss

John Crooks, a traveller on this trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

Hi jantoby1,

to be honest if you are thinking of making a tour in Corsica, you will be much better off with a local operator (make sure they have an English programme though). Companies such as CorsicaTours or Ollandini have a huge amount of experience, great partnerships and diversified offering.

Enjoy your Corsican holidays.

VillaFanny-PortoVecchio

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

We took a Diamond Rail holiday this year to the Italian Lakes and would make the following comments about Diamond Holidays:

1) The level of knowledge at their head office is minimal - I asked twice for further details of hotel/train journey and no-one seemed to know anything.

2) The guide we had was a last minute replacement, and though very good at ensuring we all knew what was happening, he was very vague about places we visited "How long would you like to spend here"? was a common question!

3) However the hotel was good and these things did not spoil our enjoyment. We have booked for the Corsica trip in April so fingers crossed!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

As has been discussed, Corsica has very limited rail service and the train only covers a fraction of the island.

canada
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diamond Rail Holiday to Corsica

The "train" is a bus on rails, single carriage. But the train route at one section offers a better scenery than from the road.

Get answers to your questions about Corsica