We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Advice for Corsica

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving Advice for Corsica

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are going to Corsica in May, and after looking around it seems that we cannot really rely on public transport to get us anywhere. I've been driving for 5 years but I'm only 21, and a little nervous about driving in a foreign country for the first time - I'm from England where we drive on the left and I've heard some horror stories about Mediterranean drivers.

Do you have any advice for driving in another country? Are there any online driving simulators or anything similar that you know about that I could use? And the big one - are foreign drivers really as bad as people say they are?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

It's fine once you get used to it, especially in a rental car with the steering wheel on the correct side. The danger points are - leaving the rental car park/getting off the ferry; on empty country roads with no other traffic to remind you what side you should be on; turning into (empty) junctions or roundabouts. And take care first thing next morning when you get back in the car - you'll have forgotten to concentrate on what side you're on. Traffic lights can be in different places than you're used to, though this is much better than it used to be, thanks to the EU.

As for foreign, or specifically, Corsican, drivers - the less said the better. They will want to overtake you; let them.

France
Level Contributor
332 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

Since I learnt to drive in Corsica and have only had to drive on the "wrong" side of the road (for me) on 2-3 occasions, I find it helps a lot to put 3 or 4 stickers/post-its on the steering wheel and dashboard saying "Keep to the left" or for you it would be "Keep to the right".

Make sure your companion is also alert and will remind you when you reach round-abouts or leave car parks, etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

A lot of rental car companies won't rent to drivers under the age of 25.....

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

Thank you everyone for your replies! :)

I think I may have to pay a little more than drivers over 25 but I have found car rentals that will accept me, and I can get insurance as well, so no problems there!

Thank you for your advice, I'm feeling a lot better about it now and the post-it note idea is really good! And I will definitely be very careful and let anyone overtake me if they want to...

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

Some recommend tying a handkerchief to the steering wheel to remind you to keep to the right. I wouldn't worry too much about the locals; you'll be driving very defensively anyway - just let them do their own thing.

I do think it's important for first timers to get some experience of Corsica and its roads by sticking to the main roads for the first day or two until you feel confident. There are few wide straight roads on the island in any event but the main roads are fairly obviously the least scary.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
363 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

Putting stickers/post-its on your dashboard/steering wheel is perhaps the worst and most dangerous advice I have ever come across on this forum. Above all you need to keep your eye on the road in front of you

Having spoken to many people and from personal experience driving on the wrong side of the road comes surprisingly intuitively. Corsican drivers take lots of risks and my advice is simply to watch traffic behind you and to indicate and slow and let anyone who is on your tail pass when possible on straight sections of road

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

Corsican roads are often narrow & winding. The presence of large numbers of Italian camper vans does not help the situation. Be careful on not overestimating distances. Counting an average speed of only 30 kph is not unrealistic.

8. Re: Driving Advice for Corsica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17