We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ajaccio Snorkeling Beaches - Please Help!

Evanston, Wyoming
Level Contributor
34 posts
60 reviews
Ajaccio Snorkeling Beaches - Please Help!

Hello All~

My family will be in Ajaccio on a 1 day stop on our cruise. We would like to go to a beach and hopefully snorkel. Any recommendations for beaches that would be convenient from the cruise port? Ideally we would like to be able to walk (up to 5km) or take public transport.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler Willis

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,241 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Ajaccio Snorkeling Beaches - Please Help!

Corsica is an OK (not great) place to snorkel. Don't expect brightly colored "tropical" fish.

And public transport on the island is dismal at best.

When are you visiting Ajaccio?

Evanston, Wyoming
Level Contributor
34 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Ajaccio Snorkeling Beaches - Please Help!

Thanks for your reply! I had thought snorkeling would be half decent based off of things I have heard about the scuba diving out there. What would be your recommendation for just a nice Beach to spend half a day relaxing and swimming? We will be there in July.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,241 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Ajaccio Snorkeling Beaches - Please Help!

The latitude of Ajaccio is akin to the latitude of the California / Oregon border.

So.....no bright coloured tropical fish.

Ajaccio is a lovely little city. St Francois Beach is an easy walk.

Beaches are everywhere........if you want to get away from the "vanilla" experiences that cruises offer......rent a car and drive up to Sartene......the most "Corsican" of places. A wonderful day trip.

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Ajaccio Snorkeling Beaches - Please Help!

Isolella is about half an hour from Ajaccio, and while it does not offer the colourful and exotic variety of life underwater of a tropical reef, we were impressed with the snorkelling. We were late season and found it a charming place to spend a half day, it was hard to imagine we were so close to Ajaccio, I imagine it gets very busy high season, but if you are going to be there outside of July/August, I would consider it. There is also an excellent example of the Genoese towers which are so characteristic of the Corsican coast here.

5. Re: Ajaccio Snorkeling Beaches - Please Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:19