We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

jakarta
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

I was originally going to purchase the passe navigo decouverte Semaine for zones 1-4 for our 6 day stay in Paris (Tues-Mon).

However, we will be making two trips out of zone 4, one to visit friends in "Plaisir Grignon" in zone 5, and a day trip to "Livry Sur Seine" in zone 6 (near Melun). I was just going to purchase separate tickets for those two trips, but in researching costs, I am now thinking that the passe navigo decouverte semaine for zones 1-6 will be more economical. I have researched the RATP site and looked at the map for the transportation zones. Both are served by "reseau transilien", not the regular RER lines. I just wanted to verify that the passe navigo decouverte semaine (Zones 1-6) would cover those 2 trips. I am assuming since they are on the "Zones Tarifaires D'Ile-de-France RER and Transilien". Can anyone help me with this?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

If you have paid for the correct zones, you can use the Navigo on all of the transportation systems that are a member of the 'STIF' -- including any SNCF or RATP service.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

While I can't answer your question, I'm curious to know if you made a decision. I too am researching the cost of purchasing a Navigo Decouverte for Zones 1-5 for our upcoming trip - Mon-Sat - I do think it's most cost effective to buy the Passe - is that what you're finding? If you use the metro at least 3 times per day for 4 days, you've paid for the passe, if my information is correct. Would you agree?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

Using the métro 3 times a day for 4 days would cost you at most €15.40 if you bought a 10-ticket "carnet" for €12 and 2 €1.70 individual tickets. The ND card with a Zones 1-5 weekly pass would cost €5 for the card and €33.40 for the pass or more than twice as much. Even a €18.35 Zones 1-2 pass would not be cost-effective. More info here: ratp.fr/fr/…

This page might help: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c3012/Paris:F…

(A minor addition to kerouac's reply to the OP: The ND pass can be used only on SNCF trains for which no reservation is required. That is the vast majority of trains within the limits of the 6 Zones but there are a few exceptions.)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

Thanks for the tip. I too was going to go the route of the Navigo Decouverte, however with the pre purchase of the hop on / off bus, I'm realizing that I wouldn't use the pass as much as I thought.

Any suggestions on what's the best way to get to Chateau de Versaille from the 7ieme arrondissement?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

Thanks for the tip. I too was going to opt for the Navigo decouverte but with your tips and further consideration, I'm going to go with the carnet de billets. Since I have purchased the Hop on and off 2 day bus tour, I'm quite sure I wouldn't get the full use out of it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

On a related note, anyone have a suggestion on the best way to get to Chateau de Versaille from the 7ieme arrondissement? Do busys the there fairly directly?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

get on the RER-C direction Versailles/Rive Gauche - it drops you off not far from the palace.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

Thanks for the info on getting to Versaille... worked perfectly. And I concur with the suggestion to purchase a carnet (pack) of 10 tickets for public transportation. With our taking a 2 day city tour, this turned out to be the best choice to fulfil the rest of our public transportation needs.

9. Re: Are TRANSILIEN lines covered by Passe NAVIGO Decouverte?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 06:17