We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro ticket machine clingons

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
251 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Metro ticket machine clingons

Hi

Saw this same obnoxious scam in Italy. They hang out at metro or train ticket machines and spot someone who may be or is a tourist and proceed to interject "help" as you are using the machine. Then they want a euro, etc. for doing so.

Not being fluent in French I'm wondering if there is any standard response one can give to sho them away?

They can be un-nerving when you ate trying to concentrate on the machine and they are invading your space and sometimes even trying to operate the machine for you.

Thanks

Annabelle

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro ticket machine clingons

The more common scam here is for someone to offer to sell you their "unused" métro tickets, which are either used or are some sort of discounted ticket (perhaps for children) that they bought for less than full fare. The standard response to either of these scams is "non, merci". Of course there may be legitimately nice people trying to help a stranger use the ticket machines, as I've helped people myself, but you'll have to use your own judgement as to who is friend or foe. Certainly if they are invading your space and refuse to leave you alone then you can tell what they are up to.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro ticket machine clingons

I buy a Carnet from a staffed window at Gare du Nord when I arrive in Paris, so I don't have to use unfamiliar machines. I save money too doing it this way - the Carnet of ten is cheaper than buying singly. The tickets are good on buses too. Any left over I save for my next trip; alternatively, just give them away to the receptionist or to fellow guests at your hotel when leaving. .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro ticket machine clingons

>>>Not being fluent in French I'm wondering if there is any standard response one can give to sho them away?<<<

I have found dropping an 'F bomb' works equally well on the Sacre Couer string men and the gold ring finders. I've no doubt it would work on ticket machine clingons as well! LOL

Are you sure they're Clingons and not Romulans? ;^)

4. Re: Metro ticket machine clingons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2012, 10:19