We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to chateau?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to chateau?

On another thread I saw Fontainbleau described as a "quaint village," which doesn't exactly match my recollections from thirteen years ago, but I was on the bus from the train station. Is it worth walking from the station (I believe its Fontainebleau Avon) to the chateau? I like to walk and I remember a market there (I REALLY remember the delicious olives I bought) but if it is a routine townscape I may stick to the bus.

Thanks for any views.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to chateau?

Fontainebleau is definitely not a village, it is a posh little town but with a big city feel, as is often the case in places that were linked to French power. The town center is nice but the train station is located in Avon, so you would be walking mostly through Avon, not Fontainebleau.

I love walking too and I would prefer to walk than wait for a bus but I don't think the walk is interesting in itself, although I cannot speak from experience since I have always been to Fontainebleau by car. But what people describe as cute is the town center of Fontainebleau. I don't think it exudes a quaint village feel at all though, more like an upscale city.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to chateau?

Thank you--it sounds as though I should save my walking for the chateau grounds.

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to chateau?

Thank you very much. You just answered my earlier post regarding a walk to the Chateau from the train station. Thus, I shall also take the bus and save my walking shoes and time for the visit itself. Great advice as always from my Trip Advisor friends!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to chateau?

The tourist office is just a few steps from the front entry to the chateau (you can google the location). Go there to get a map of the town and the helpful people there will help you outline a nice walking tour through the quaint streets in town. If time allows you might take a taxi to the nearby quaint little artists village of Barbizon. You could also rent a bike and ride the 12km there on a paved bike trail through the forest.

5. Re: Walk to chateau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2017, 17:18